Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Before picking up my ZHP, I wanted an E36 M3/4/5. I made an offer on one that was in nice shape and couldn't come to terms with the seller. My initial, impression about it was that it wasn't very fast but handled well and brakes were fabulous. I think, though, I felt the M3 felt slow because of my Turbo'd E36 that I have in the garage that I just drove not long before the test drive of the M3. So I wasn't overly impressed. (I know, I shouldn't compare em).

I then test drove a couple of ZHPs and hey just felt much better to me. Felt tighter, accelerated quicker and handled similarly.

Just my $.02. I have no regrets not picking up the M3 and definitely no regrets picking up my ZHP last night.

E46 ZHP vs. E36 M3

I honestly wish I still have my E36- Given it was a 328 with the sport package.

98 E36 328
    -H&R spring with Koni fronts, bilstien rears
    -Style 68 staggered wheels
    -big brake kit/slotted rotors
    -Short shift
    -Intake
    -DME Tune
    -Strut bar
    -Read M3 LSD
    -Underdrive pulley
    -M3 exhaust

ZHP
    -aFe Intak
    -New Fluids

I will say my E36 handled like it was rails, as does the ZHP. The exhaust on both cars sounds great in stock form, given my E36 had the M3 exhaust- The ZHP is more refined both inside and outside. The engine feels stronger vs E36, but my E36 felt smoother (I suspect I need engine mounts in the ZHP).

Overall- I think the two are very similar to me. My ZHP wins in my book.
    Last edited by TheFinanceGuy; 07-18-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added an F
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

I drove a turbo'd E36 M once....I should've bought it, hahah. It was making around 420hp at 13psi, and the build was fantastic quality. Needless to say, it was much better than the ZHP.
    -Brenan-
    '05 Graphite 6MT-Sold

Currently Searching for an M Coupe...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
    I honestly wish I still have my E36- Given it was a 328 with the sport package.

98 E36 328
    -H&R spring with Koni fronts, bilstien rears
    -Style 68 staggered wheels
    -big brake kit/slotted rotors
    -Short shift
    -Intake
    -DME Tune
    -Strut bar
    -Read M3 LSD
    -Underdrive pulley
    -M3 exhaust

ZHP
    -aFe Intake
    -New Fluids

I will say my E36 handled like it was rails, as does the ZHP. The exhaust on both cars sounds great in stock form, given my E36 had the M3 exhaust- The ZHP is more refined both inside and outside. The engine feels stronger vs E36, but my E36 felt smoother (I suspect I need engine mounts in the ZHP).

Overall- I think the two are very similar to me. My ZHP wins in my book.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by JKO_ZHP View Post
    Fixed.
    Um... Oops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

E36 M3:

Exterior:
    It definitely screams 90s and has a nice square look to it.

Interior:
    Again, definitely 90s and I personally think it did not age well. It looks dated and its not a classic feel to it. Just feels ancient and old tech. Especially those LEDs that go out. Vader seats are nice but those luxury seats were terrible.

Engine:
    USDM S50/S52 isn't incredibly faster but at 255hp its still better than the ZHP.

Suspension/Brakes:
    Brakes are adequate and the stock suspension feels soft as it ages. A stock LSD makes a major difference.

Drivetrain:
    5th gear makes highway driving with a loud exhaust a bit hard.

E46 ZHP:

Exterior:
    It has all the nice M bits and it is the top of the line sedan.

Interior:
    I think the E46 interior aged fairly well. I think the seats are more comfortable but lacking in the bolster department.

Engine:
    It's definitely smoother than the S50/S52 but it lacks the top end power from the S50. I wish it could've matched the old USDM S50/2 250hp rating.

Suspension/Brakes:
    These are very good stock brakes as they are the same size as the E46 M3 std sizes. I am impressed with the stock suspension of the ZHP as it was a great compromise of sportiness and comfort.

Drivetrain:
    3.07 + 6spd is awesome. It should've been 3.46 though IMO with an LSD.

This is one of my favorite local E36 M3s that is track ready.

Of course, a comparison between stock vs stock doesn't really matter too much as we all like to modify things.

Personally I think the E36 is more raw in steering and power potential. They are great base cars for track. I see more and more of them on the track and some of them I plowed through on the straights.

The ZHP is a much better daily driver as that's what a non-M was destined to be. It has the sportiness but compromises it for creature comforts.

I tried my best with my mods to make the ZHP what I felt like it should've came with from the factory (plus a few more track bits.) I put a M3 LSD, and I put suspension and brakes. I also installed a Z3M shift lever that helped lose the slop in the shifter lever. With these mods, the ZHP feels more responsive on the throttle and has the handling capibilities to rival modified E36 M3s too.

I think a E36M3 is more of a track car that you can daily but the ZHP would be alot more comfortable for that purpose.

If I had to do it all over again, would I choose an E36 M3? No. I love my ZHP cause it an underdog at the track and it's entertaining when I chase M3 of all years. The creature comforts from the E46 is alot better than the E36 and I don't think I could let go of that. An E46 M3 though.....

^^^ Well said.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Wiki says the E36 M3's S50/S52 puts out 240 not 255.
    Edit: Factor in about an extra 5+ years of aging (1999 was the last year for E36 M3s) and any fairly maintained ZHP will outrun the average E36 M3 unless it has been properly maintained, has been modified, parts removed to save weight, etc.

I say average since most E36 M3s I've seen in my area seem dilapidated inside and/or out.

i drove an E36 M3 before i ever drove a ZHP, and the engine noise and throttle response had me hook, line and sinker... however, the slow steering, and non-adjustable steering column were major detractors for me (actually the latter is the #1 reason i will never own an E36).

the ZHP has much, much better ergonomics, although the tilted-to-the-left steering column takes some getting used to. the seats are very comfortable but the lateral support is lacking (i'm 6'1" 190lbs and have a 32" waist - the adjustable bolsters in the E90 seem VERY intriguing - wondering if these seats are interchangeable?).

coming from a B5 A4 1.8T, the throttle response in the ZHP is uber-quick - no need for improvement here, for me.

i feel the main points for improvement for me are the shifter (the throw is fine but the side-to-side slop is awful - even our B5 A4 1.8T's stock shifter feels more precise), and the clutch engagement (haven't done the CDV delete yet - i am hoping this makes for smoother engagement).

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I do not miss the reliability of the E36 but they are such fun cars. I would take a stock ZHP over a stock E36 M3 when it comes to performance, looks, interior (obviously), but an E36 M3 done right can be so much fun.

I miss this car so much..98' Cosmos with a black vader interior. This car had a 6spd out of an EVO M3, 3.46 diff, 18x8.5 BBS RK, Bilstien/H&R w/ GC camber plates, and much more.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E92 335i M-Sport
    997 S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast