Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Engine Bay Sounds

The other day I leave the car running and step our to get my sun glasses in the house and as I pass by the front of the car I hear a funky sound.

Not the hiss of the air, not the valves clicking away but a deeper "piston-like" noise. I open the hood and hear pistons clunking around.

So I search and I search, and I find many youtube videos with microphones inside M3 engine bays while driving, or people describing countless VANOS, or DISA sounds or air leaking sounds or clicking sounds. What I don't find is the noise I am hearing. Mind you, I could be completely wrong about this and all is normal.

I thought I could start a thread where we place a short video of our cars idling. This could give us a baseline from which to determine the presence normal, abnormal, and of course "funky" noises, for diagnosis purposes.

Of course it would be best if more of us upload a video or sound file so we have more data to increase our knowledge base.

Here is mine, noise is coming from the left side of engine (video). I would appreciate any comments about that piston-slap-like noise. Happens hot or cold, this is a ZSP, manual, 95K miles, no codes, power is good, new oil (0W40; Mobil 1; synthetic; Longlife 01 BMW approved) about 1500 miles ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../VIDEO0029.mp4
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

That is an odd noise.

Here is mine at warm idle

Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

Definitely sounds like its at the font of the engine.

My guesses are VANOS, water pump or pully/idler related.

I think if it was actually something with the pistons you would notice some more issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Mmmmmm

Sounds like a bearing to me. +1 for WP or a pulley

Let me add that my reasoning for VANOS is because it kinda sound like what a VANOS sounds like when listened too through a stethoscope just super loud.

2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete

Not good

Its probably still a WP or pulley but always worth giving the VANOS a look.

A wp ? Water pump ?

Yeah. Water pump. Lol

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast