Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Kinesis Wheel bolts/rivet replacements

I am considering restoring these Kinesis K28's that were originally on my E36. They sat out in the sun for about eight years and need to some TLC.

Anyways, my thoughts are too take them apart, get the centers powder coated, get the lips polished, then reassemble the wheels with new hardware since the current hardware bolts/rivets are rusted.

I found a guy online that quoted me $360 for a new set of rivets for all four wheels. He is stating that it's new Kinesis hardware sized M6. Kinesis is no longer around. They were sold to Lexani years ago and it appears (based on some quick internet research) that the Kinesis brand is no longer around.

My question are, does anyone know if I have to use Kinesis hardware? If not, does anyone know where I could source some new hardware?

Once done, they should look like this on my car (quick Photoshop hack)

Thanks!
    Last edited by TWong1200; 07-28-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typos

Is it necessary to take them apart? Can't tell if bolts or rivets are holding the center part on the rim. I would trust a shop to do that.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I'm sure all wheel shops will tell you that you HAVE to use the original Kinesis bolts, and then offer to sell them to you. However, if you can determine the material used and the exact size of the bolt (including any steps in the shank or other details) then you can probably use an equal alternative. When you do install, I would use some Loctite on them, probably not red, blue will do. Of course, ensure proper torque specs.

Also, when you disassemble them, an important detail would be to match mark the pieces of the wheel. Ensure they go back together in the same orientation just in case they are factory balanced upon assembly, before they ever get tires installed...

So yeah, thats all I have for input, hope it helps. Good luck, they're good looking wheels.
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Thanks guys. I plan on removing all rivets and visiting a local wheel repair shop to see if they can match them. If not, I will get them all sand blasted and either anodized, polished, or powder coated and reuse them.

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

2004 B6 A4 Ultrasport Arctic White : Black : 1.8T : Quattro : 6MT