Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Poor Engine Performance

My car has a bad case of the buckings and poor engine performance. 0-60 seems to take me about 8 seconds. The loss of power seems to be throughout all of the rpms. The hesitation in the car's revs are bad enough that I have to put the gas pedal all the way down to do a 1k rpm rev match. I'll try to get an acceleration and rev video on here.

I've read around and I think I'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel filter and vanos seals. If that doesn't help the bucking and hesitation I'll go ahead and clean and crimp the pins in the exhaust vanos solenoid (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=856781)

I don't think I have MAF issues, as it was replaced not too long ago.

What's the best way to diagnose poor O2 sensors?

Please post if you have any additional thoughts or ideas that could help me fix these issues.
    -Dimitri; 19

98 Dakar Yellow M3
    Recaro - Ground Control - Macht Schnell - AP - Mashaw - UUC - Schroth - Apex - TMS

Do you have a check engine light?

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Do you have a check engine light?
    I had one turn on yesterday, but it disappeared on my drive home from Sacramento. I've been having these symptoms for a while it seems with no engine lights.
    -Dimitri; 19

98 Dakar Yellow M3
    Recaro - Ground Control - Macht Schnell - AP - Mashaw - UUC - Schroth - Apex - TMS

Try running some Techron too
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by gmurphy View Post
    Try running some Techron too
    Is there a brand that's best? I've actually never fueled up with anything other than Chevron 91.
    -Dimitri; 19

98 Dakar Yellow M3

What about seafoam? I've heard good and bad about it.
    -Dimitri; 19

98 Dakar Yellow M3

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Dimitri View Post
    What about seafoam? I've heard good and bad about it.
    Try not to jump into a solution blindly. You will end up replacing more parts than necessary to fix it.

Since you saw a check engine light once, the car stored some faults. If you can, find someone with diagnostic software to pull the codes for you. A shop, someone near by or you buy the cables and do it yourself.

Once you get the codes, you will have a better idea where to look to resolving your issue. As you said there are alot of parts related to the stuttering.

How old is the fuel filter, spark plugs?

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Dimitri View Post
    Is there a brand that's best? I've actually never fueled up with anything other than Chevron 91.
    That has techron in it actually but I guess a concentrated bottle could help. It's worth a shot.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP A08
    Dinan Stage 1
    ~ Garry Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Try not to jump into a solution blindly. You will end up replacing more parts than necessary to fix it.

Since you saw a check engine light once, the car stored some faults. If you can, find someone with diagnostic software to pull the codes for you. A shop, someone near by or you buy the cables and do it yourself.

Once you get the codes, you will have a better idea where to look to resolving your issue. As you said there are alot of parts related to the stuttering.

How old is the fuel filter, spark plugs?

sent from Moto X Dev Edition
    Derek has a logical approach here which is very smart, so you aren't arbitrarily throwing parts at the car. If it has been happening over a period of time, then it sounds like possibly a fuel starvation issue and I would suspect the fuel filter too, depending on how long its been in service, or if by chance you picked up a bad tank of fuel at a new station which is thus clogging the filter.

-Brettski

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast