Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool The Right Elbow Factor

OK, I’ve had this ZHP for nearly 8 years now and I’m just realizing I don’t fit. It was first brought to my attention by my first driving instructor at Mid-Ohio.

I’ve always liked my steering wheel located in the fully extended and fully down position however; I don’t fit when it’s in that position. Due to the off center steering wheel position in our cars, my right elbows crammed between the console pad and the right bolster. It’s almost like I need to shorten my right arm. That ant gonna happen. Never noticed it much, in Northern Ohio with checker-board grid and strict law enforcement. Now in Tennessee, things are a little different; hands continuously at the 10:00 & 2:00 O’clock positions on the steering wheel and right curves can truly be a PITA.

Time for a change; with the wheel now only being extended 2 inches or less, things seem to fit much better allowing for far greater control and pleasure.

Anyone else noticed this problem?

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Not really, but not tracking the car either plus I am average size. What do you mean wheel extended 2 inches?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Not really, but not tracking the car either plus I am average size. What do you mean wheel extended 2 inches?
    I'm a little guy also and I'm talking about the telescoping adjustment of the c steering column that brings the wheel closer to your body.

Brembo Rotor

I personally don't have the problem you have, but I do feel that the offset steering is contributing to my hips being shifted, verified by an X-Ray at the chiropractor's office. The offset steering, coupled with the bolsters on the sport seats forcing my left leg way out of the way to reach the dead pedal, I think is making my hips crooked.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    I'm a little guy also and I'm talking about the telescoping adjustment of the c steering column that brings the wheel closer to your body.
    Well I'll be! Completely forgot about that adjustment! I'll give that a try.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I personally don't have the problem you have, but I do feel that the offset steering is contributing to my hips being shifted, verified by an X-Ray at the chiropractor's office. The offset steering, coupled with the bolsters on the sport seats forcing my left leg way out of the way to reach the dead pedal, I think is making my hips crooked.
    I never really noticed it for 7+ years but, I do now. Must be that I don't drive it everyday anymore.

Brembo Rotor

Do you mean that the wheel is not centered to our seats? I haven't noticed that. I thought that was only an Audi problem. hah.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

I'm fairly short and I notice sometimes that I hit my elbows on the bolsters when cornering aggressively. My wheel is only extended about half way and I can get both my wrists on the top of the wheel so my seating position is correct as far as I know. I do definitely feel that the dead pedal is a bit far out though. I find myself sitting a bit sideways sometimes.

Any tips on proper seat positioning?
    Hi, I'm John, and I miss my 6MT Alcantara baby! | 2003 Orient Blue 330i ZHP
    Had: ARC8's | Poly Bushings | Koni Yellows | Perf Brakes | TMS Subframe | Hotchkiss | LOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Do you mean that the wheel is not centered to our seats? I haven't noticed that. I thought that was only an Audi problem. hah.
    I remember the picture from one of our members on this site (I hope) of an e46 convertible shot straight down onto the car. You could tell that the steering wheel is at an angle offset a little from say, the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Yea this is news to me too.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast