Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Another Illuminated Shift Knob Thread

The emblem finally popped off my shift knob a few weeks back and on top of that the shift knob itself is looking a little tired and could stand to go for a replacement.

I've always liked the illuminated knob I have in my e36 M3 and wanted to look into adding one to the ZHP.

From the research I've done, you can pay an arm and a leg to have one made from LeatherZ, find a shift knob that is already illuminated and give up the weighted ZHP plus, or more recently the F10 ZHP illuminated shift knob with attached leather boot.

The F10 knob to me seems like the best option to swap over the boot rings which has been documented a bunch, but I really don't want to lose the alcantara material of the shift boot which matches the wheel and ebrake.

Has anyone tried removing the F10 knob from the supplied boot and attaching the existing boot to the knob? Seems like an expensive gamble, but I'd imagine BMW somehow got the boot attached to the knob, so I'd think there would be a way to get it off.

Any other suggestions on recent options that are out there? I've seen a lot of posts from 2012 and 2013 which is evidently when I missed the boat on picking one up for pretty cheap haha.

Thanks!

I have a new boot from Cobywheel, that I attached to the e90 performance shift knob. Kind of the same thing.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Multiple people have cut off the boot and put on an existing boot for the f10 knob. Charlie and I have done it with great results. It does take some care when removing the boot, but there is a pretty decent diy within Charlie's ///M project thread or just search f10 knob for e46 m3 and it should get some results.

Pip any pictures? I'll check into Charlie's build thread to see what they look like. Seems like it's been done before. I'd love to get the tri color stitched alcantara boot with an illuminated zhp knob with matching ebrake boot and at some point a replacement steering wheel. Not really high on the priority list, but the shift knob kind of annoys me haha.

Thanks!