Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. ColorChip

Dr. ColorChip

Ciao,

Let me apologize for the lack of before pictures but imagine a classic rock chip on the hood. The kind that is deep enough that I could begin to see some hints of rust forming.

Bought the Dr. Colorchip kit (basic) to match my car color (on the left strut mount in the engine bay, in my case A08 Silbergrau Metallic).

The kit comes with a good description of the method. In a nutshell, you dab the paint on the prepared (cleaned) surface. I use the brush provided rather than the glove provided.

It dries quickly, with excess of paint all around the chip (that's when you go hummmmmm ). That is OK though because after 30 min-1 hour, you come back to the globs of paint (and the paint left in the crevasse of the chip) and you open up the Sealact solution (provided in kit) dabbing a little bit on a clean cloth (provided in kit).

My contribution to the technique here is to NOT use your fingers to rub the Sealact solution on the chip. Instead, I use a small block of wood (flat :wink) wrapped in a clean cloth (provided in kit) and impregnated with some of the Sealact solution. Add more Sealact to the cloth and eventually the excess paint around the chip goes completely away. The finger doesn't work because it also erodes the paint that is inside the chip (too soft - hence, the flat block of wood).

I usually wait 12 hours and do a second application. I am up to 5 applications on the chips below.

It looks better than the raw chip and the color match is amazing. I have done smaller less deep scratch and that works very very well too.

Here are some "fixed" chips.

With patience and several more applications, I bet I can get them filled all the way.

Perhaps consider buying the Standard kit (rather than basic) as it gives you more of the Sealact solution (you'll run out of that before you'll run out of the paint).
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Thanks for the review oli.............yeah...you can fill that up flush.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Nice info. My kit is on the way.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I need to do a small chip on my rear right quarter , near the wheel arch.

2005 BMW 330i ZHP
    2004 BMW 330Ci ZHP A DIY Turbocharger Project!

My site: www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=545&dateline=1337626488

I had some nasty chips and scratches and I called the doctor, Dr. ColorChip. Overall I am happy with the results. When you are close you can still tell, but from far off it makes a big difference. I did touch-ups on my Tahoe and ZHP.

The pics for the Tahoe were the worst of the worst. I had a lot of small ones on the hood and side panels, but they did not show up on the camera for before pics. I will do more coats for the Tahoe.

For the ZHP, I am going to take it to a body shop. The ZHP's chips are in dents caused by a bolt that it on the highway. They are right above the driver's door and I am tired of seeing them when I get in the car.

Now time for what we all want to see, pics.

ZHP Before

ZHP After

The rest will be the Tahoe before/after

Well done. The Dr. Is good chicken.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Man, those were some deeeeep grooves. Nice job!
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I got mine in the mail this week. As soon as it warms up I will attempt the fix and post some pics.
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Now that it has been a while since I did the touch ups, I am more impressed. For all the small chips I fixed, I need to get close to figure out where the chips were now that I don't remember where they were. The big deep grooves still stick out, but from 20 feet away you need to really know what to look for.

Great write up.

I was consider Dr. Colorchip for a while, too long I guess. Now I have literally hundreds, if not over a thousand chips on the hood and bumper.

I used to commute over a 100 miles a day @ 80 mph. Lots of chips! Then I drove from San Francisco to San Diego about 7 times during my recent move. More chips! I need to bite the bullet and get a re-spray of the front end.

But thanks for the info, it will come in handy later.

Chips happen!

Three pedal ZHP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast