Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just replaced both front and back rotors and brakes. Put on the M-performance floating and drilled rotors with the Akebono Euro-Ceramic pads.
    I bedded the brakes with 5 or so successive stops (they were smoking a bit on the last one, thought that would do it!!). When looking at the rotors, they had a faint blueing on the edges, so everything got nice and hot.

Oh, no fade during that process. I think that the initial bite is a bit less, but maybe not (similar to the butt dyno, you tend to feel what you expect to feel!). There is very little brake dust, love that part (and a big reason for choosing those pads).

As for wear of the rotors, after a couple hundred miles, you can still see the grinding swirls on the rotors in places, they are not worn smooth yet (semi metalics have always smoothed out new rotors by now from my experience). So I expect the rotors to last a nice long time.

All in all, I am very happy with this setup, and the looks are awesome. (Cant post a pic now, the car is about 8,000 miles away. Im on a business trip).

Three pedal ZHP

I've had Akebono ceramics front and rear for about 3 years now. I love not having to clean my wheels every other day. I haven't detected increased rotor wear and I'm getting good life out of the pads. However, I don't like them. The initial bite is worse than stock in my opinion, and they require more pressure on the petal for the same effect. Performance doesn't improve when they warm up.

i bought akebono front and rear high perf ceramics and put them on the car not too long ago as well, had them on my infiniti g35 and loved them. Love them on this car too. Still in break in period but they already have a good solid bite to them with no dust

I'd like to add some of my own experience if I may.

I put them on my sisters 325ci:
    - One set of pads lasted about 50,000 miles with some pad material left. At this point, the rotors were shot, which may have been accelerated by the pads but I do not know.
    - She does not drive gently, but not overly aggressively either.

I have had them on my ZHP for around 15k miles:
    - They have less bite than the stock pads, and less overall braking "force".
    - From what I have observed, driving my car with stock pads and the Akebonos, then also comparing my car directly to a 330 with stock brakes, I believe braking distances are lengthened approximately 15%. The 330 has very good brakes to begin with, so I do not believe they are dangerous, but the brakes will no longer throw your head through the windshield.
    - The ABS threshold is marginally lower
    - I have run snow tires, Pirelli All Seasons, Michelin PS2s, and now Bridgestone RE760s (all with good tread) in this period.
    - I have had them fade, and indeed, begin to "melt"; meaning the pedal went mushy on me on two occasions while driving very spiritedly on my favorite empty backroads during the weekend. This from my experience is prone to happen if you slow down from somewhere between 70-85mph to 30-50mph one or more times within a say, 10 minute period.

Would I do it again? No, not for me, I drive too aggressively.

Did I put another set on my sisters car when the time came? Yes I did.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any, and please do not flame me about my driving habits.
    - Derek

Quote Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
    I'd like to add some of my own experience if I may.

I put them on my sisters 325ci:
    - One set of pads lasted about 50,000 miles with some pad material left. At this point, the rotors were shot, which may have been accelerated by the pads but I do not know.
    - She does not drive gently, but not overly aggressively either.

I have had them on my ZHP for around 15k miles:
    - They have less bite than the stock pads, and less overall braking "force".
    - From what I have observed, driving my car with stock pads and the Akebonos, then also comparing my car directly to a 330 with stock brakes, I believe braking distances are lengthened approximately 15%. The 330 has very good brakes to begin with, so I do not believe they are dangerous, but the brakes will no longer throw your head through the windshield.
    - The ABS threshold is marginally lower
    - I have run snow tires, Pirelli All Seasons, Michelin PS2s, and now Bridgestone RE760s (all with good tread) in this period.
    - I have had them fade, and indeed, begin to "melt"; meaning the pedal went mushy on me on two occasions while driving very spiritedly on my favorite empty backroads during the weekend. This from my experience is prone to happen if you slow down from somewhere between 70-85mph to 30-50mph one or more times within a say, 10 minute period.

Would I do it again? No, not for me, I drive too aggressively.

Did I put another set on my sisters car when the time came? Yes I did.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any, and please do not flame me about my driving habits.
    Thanks for the additional info. BTW, no flaming from the familia.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Akebono Euro Ceramic Brake Pads

Was replacing brake pads with Akebonos (EURO683 rear & EURO964 front). The rears fit like OE. However, the contact patch for the front is noticeably smaller than OE. When installed on, the outer edge of the pad aligns perfectly with the outer edge of the rotor, but the inner edge rests on the rotor friction surface, rather than sitting on the inner edge as the OE does. I am afraid this will reduce the braking force, as I noticed a reduced braking force with the same pads on the E46 M3. Could be they were not broken in properly yet.

Anyhow, just a heads-up for people looking to switch to these pads. I am not a spirited driver most of the time, so slightly reduced braking force is not too big a deal for me, although I pretty much got used to the brake feel of OE and love it. The only gripe I have with them is that the reduced patch will leave a narrow band of exposed metal on the friction surface of the rotor, which would definitely rust and become an eye sour. The only cure to this problem would be to run new rotors with zinc coating, such as Zimmerman (OE?) and Meyle.
    2003 330i ZHP [Garage King]
    2005 325i ZSP [SOLD]
    2007 Z4 3.0i [Garage Queen]
    2009 MINI Cooper S [Daily Driver]

I don't have that problem with my set. I just put a set of these on brand new rotors on the E39 touring and they fit exactly where they should, just a little bit inwards from the extreme outer edge. I've never had pads go all the way out to the very edge before...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatFrog View Post
    Was replacing brake pads with Akebonos (EURO683 rear & EURO964 front). The rears fit like OE. However, the contact patch for the front is noticeably smaller than OE. When installed on, the outer edge of the pad aligns perfectly with the outer edge of the rotor, but the inner edge rests on the rotor friction surface, rather than sitting on the inner edge as the OE does. I am afraid this will reduce the braking force, as I noticed a reduced braking force with the same pads on the E46 M3. Could be they were not broken in properly yet.
    I did a full set of Akebono Ceramics with new rotors a few months ago and mine had roughly the same swept area - about 10% of the rotor face was unswept. Here's my post w/a photo: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...249#post569249

Brake torque is noticeably less, but that was expected with a ceramic compound. Akebono says the bedding period is 400-500 miles. They felt like shit for the first couple hundred miles, but once bedded they felt considerably better.
    -Chris

You're not going to have the same initial bite as you do with the OEM pads, it takes a while to get used to that...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Akebono Euro Ceramic Brake Pads

Yes, I was talked about the 10% difference in swept area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 330i ZHP [Garage King]
    2005 325i ZSP [SOLD]
    2007 Z4 3.0i [Garage Queen]
    2009 MINI Cooper S [Daily Driver]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast