Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Transmission fluid and differential problems

Okay so I went to change my MT with MTL and Im pretty sure these aren't the original bolts correct? Since there HEX bolts? Anyone know what size they might be? I also have differential fluid i plan to be replace but wasn't planning on doing it tonight and noticed a leak....great....I just read that sometimes just tightening the bolts works has this worked for anyone? Either way Im going to buy new bolts for the transmission fill and drain plug. For the differential I'm going to buy new drain and fill plugs and gaskets.

Long story short just confirming that these are in fact not the original transmission drain and fill plugs. Also what are peoples experience with differential leaks?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mine were hex bolts. Original.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    Mine were hex bolts. Original.
    Weird every DIY I've seen they say 17mm bolts

Hex. Those are correct.

The friendliest forum on the planet!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Those look like originals to me! I broke one my first time and had to buy a generic transmission plug and use it for a few years. I think it was a M18 plug. Worked fine but stuck out an extra 6 or 7mm.

They don't sell the gaskets for the diff cover any more--you're supposed to seal it with RTV.

What size are the drain and fill plugs?

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The tranny drain and fill plugs are the same. I think the proper socket is an 8mm hex. The diff plug uses either a 14mm or 17mm hex socket.