Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Help out a car audio noob

So as the title states, I know very little about car audio equipment. I do, however, know enough to not feel like my hk system is quite adequate. I'm not looking for pounding bass; I just want it to be a little crisper, and to not feel like the speakers might blow at any moment if I don't turn the radio down.

So, here's what I'm working with: basically I want to swap out at least the tweeters and lows in the front, and probably also the mids in the front and lows on the back shelf. I also want to do this myself, and for as little money as possible. (I really like the BSW approach, but it's more than I'd like to spend at the moment)

That said, I came across a fellow's site detailing his own speaker system upgrade, which seems very comparable to what I'd like to achieve.

Link --> JumboPrawn.com

I'm starting to look at individual components at Parts Express, but I'm having problems finding tweeters that are shallow enough to fit.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for me? I'm kind of going a little beyond my comfort zone here, and could use some reassurance about buying the correct stuff.

thanks in advance!

The challenge with modifying our audio systems by swapping out tweeters, midranges, bass drivers, etc is that what you buy may not have the correct impedence, frequency response or voicing to match the rest of the system. The HK system uses proprietary EQ curves that are designed to work with the OEM amp and speakers.

BSW is a nice plug and play system but if you don't want that, plan on swapping out most of the system (all speakers and amp) just to get it to work.

Could I not just buy components that have the same properties? (I honestly don't know if that's an option...not trying to be an a$$)

You could try but unless you know what you're buying, the end results would probably be disappointing.

If it was me, I'd keep the OEM deck, buy 1 or two quality amplifiers and a couple good quality separates (separate midrange & tweeter with a crossover) for the front and rear speakers along with 1-2 subwoofers.

Yeah, I definitely don't want to lose the oem deck.

I believe the OEM speakers are like 2 ohm, subs are 3 ohm. as long as you wire up to the wires on the doors and not use the passive crossovers that come with the components you are fine. The amp will work from 2ohm loads to 8 ohm loads. The amp has the internal crossover tuned to the HK speakers. Also as you dial up the volume the system decreases the lower frequencies to keep your speakers happy.

I am going to replace my whole HK system and that will be shown on my site.

2005 BMW 330i ZHP
    2004 BMW 330Ci ZHP A DIY Turbocharger Project!

My site: www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=545&dateline=1337626488

Disclaimer.. I swapped out my whole system including deck to get the sound I wanted.

With that said if my objective was to keep the factory deck and get the best sound without a lot of custom work I'd go BSW and not look back. It is a real step up from factory but not to what you can do if you rip it all out and start over. But then you loose the factory radio. Your call.
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

This thread is pretty informative. But basically, if you find speakers that are the right size (fit and line up), the right impedance, and a close match on the frequencies they can handle, you'll be alright.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I thought the audax at this site would be small enough to fit.

Isn't that what the jumboprawn link guy says in there?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

are your speakers shot? By adding a subwoofer/amp, it takes away the bass frequencies from the speakers and redirects to the subs. I know mine sounded way better after adding subs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast