Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Rear Main Seal

Rear Main Seal

I believe my rear main seal went and covered my clutch in oil

My clutch is less than one year old, but it's slipping so bad. Any ideas on how to go forward with this? I want to do the work myself but don't have a lift

She's out of commission until I get her fixed. Kinda bummed cause the car will be paid off next month. 2001 325i Sport
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

To do the rear main seal, you need to remove the transmission and flywheel. It is entirely possible to do without a lift but it will be difficult. Good luck! I would definitely suggest having a 2nd person to help you.

Are you sure that it isn't a leaking clutch slave cylinder? I only ask as it seems odd that the rear main seal would suddenly start leaking in that kind of quantity that quickly. I would think that it would take some time for it to cause that much trouble. I guess if you were to check both the engine oil and brake fluid levels first that would help determine which is low. Anyway just a thought. Hopefully it is just a bad clutch slave cylinder as they are pretty easy to replace.

-Brettski

Could also be transmission input shaft seal, if you smell/see reddish or purple transmission fluid instead of black/amber engine oil.

I wouldn't think the rear main would go that quickly. My bet is on slave cylinder.

Rear Main Seal

I checked both levels and they are good. Doesn't look like I've lost any fluid out of either. Wtf?? I don't know what to do.
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint

Bump

Is anything leaking on the ground? Have you gone under the car and checked to see if there are leaks? If you do see oil residue, you might want to try adding dye to the motor and using a black light to see if you can spot any of that dye.

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

2004 B6 A4 Ultrasport Arctic White : Black : 1.8T : Quattro : 6MT