Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks, guys. Does anyone have any experience with vibratory tumblers? Looks like this is my best option for restoring the rivets/bolts.

I was also able to find a guy selling inner barrels. Sweet!

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

2004 B6 A4 Ultrasport Arctic White : Black : 1.8T : Quattro : 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    Thanks, guys. Does anyone have any experience with vibratory tumblers? Looks like this is my best option for restoring the rivets/bolts.

I was also able to find a guy selling inner barrels. Sweet!
    I don't have experience with them but I do know Harbor Freight sells some.

What about bead-blasting the hardware?

I also thought about that too. Not sure which is better or easier.

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

Began restoring a lip on one of my Kinesis K28's. Turned out really well. Fingers are killing me though!

Before

320 grit

400 grit

600 grit

Fingers hurt too much to take photos of the other steps so here are the final after polishing

Great work, beautiful.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I forgot to post this from back on 8/16.

Began restoring a lip on one of my Kinesis K28's. Turned out really well. Fingers are killing me though!

Before

320 grit

400 grit

600 grit

Fingers hurt too much to take photos of the other steps so here are the final after polishing

On 8/22, I replaced the plugs. I assume that they were originals (112k miles). Car feels so much peppy after this and the Vanos rebuild.

On 8/25, I replaced my burnt ZKW headlights with some AL's that I bought from a guy on Craigslist. Wow, what a difference. I regret not replacing the lenses with ZKW lenses. I'm thinking of yanking them out again and doing this. I don't care for the beam pattern of the AL's but still, the improvement is HUGE.

Not realizing that the AL's included the AL brackets, I purchased a set of AL brackets from another member (thanks quikryptonite!) and have no need for them. So if anyone needs them, PM me for the same killer deal that I got them for.

I now have my ZKWs for sale. Great candidates for AL conversion or FXRs (or something else). I would have gone this route but didn't want the down time. I'm actually still considering retrofitting these and putting back in my car and selling the ALs so I won't have any down time. I could probably sell the ALs faster than the ZKWs!

Today, I visited a local powder coating business to get a quote on getting the faces, rivets/bolts, and inner barrels cleaned up and powder coated. The lips, I've decided to have another local place do a mirror polish on them. It's pretty cheap to do and after spending about 3 hours polishing just one lip, $25 per lip is a bargain to me!

So the dilemma now is, what color do I choose? I initially wanted a darker grey color, similar to what they are now with silver/polished rivets. Now I'm thinking I might want to go with a more silver face and black rivets. Something to contrast. The other option, which is more expensive, is to have the faces brushed polished and then powder coated clear and also with black rivets.

My last issue are center caps! Hard to find since Kinesis is no longer around. I'll deal with that after, I suppose.

What would you do?

Been a long time since I've update this. Got everything back from powder and I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Haven't reassembled them, just or then together to see how they turned out.

Next up is to reassemble them and then suspension. Undecided if I will just transfer my PSS to these or get a new set of tires. My PSS' are still new. Just want to leave tires on my 135's in case I switch back to them one day.

Those look nice

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast