Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Holy Tire Wear, Batman!!!

So as many of you know, I installed a new set of Bridgestone S04 Pole Position tires in the factory sizes on my 135s last year around this time. I have a factory suspension and alignment setup, and the car is used for daily summer commuting 70/30 highway/city about 65kms/day. Note that my car is an automatic and I couldn't spin the rear tires if I tried. My driving style IS aggressive, I really don't like to slow down for corners/turns. That said, I rarely have the DSC kink in, typically only if there is dust or something in the turn.

Since my purchase, I've put about 10,000kms (6,000 miles) on the car. About 3,000kms was PURE highway trips, and the remaining 7,000 my 70/30 commute.

My rears are down from the original 10/32nds to 4.5/32nds, slightly more wear on the inside and a little less on the outside (to be expected due to the factory camber). At this rate, the tire will hit 2/32nds (end of useful life) at about 13,000kms (8,000 miles). This is absolutely insane. I'm in a relatively low-powered car, not doing burnouts, and I get this mileage?

In the Boxster that this car replaced (more rear negative camber, weight on the rear tires, known for poor rear tire life) I got 40,000kms from my last set of RE050 Pole Positions and 30,000kms from Continental SportContact 2s. I drove the crap out of that car.

I've never gotten less than 20,000kms out of a set of tires, no matter how sticky and how hard I drove them. I've gotten over 15,000kms from R-compounds as daily drivers with track days mixed in! The Bstone dealer tells me this is normal and "this is a high-performance tire" bullshit, and refuses to open a warranty claim with Bstone. I'm trying to reach Bstone directly now.
    orange260z

2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe PDK/Sport Chrono Plus - Porsche Racing Green / Sand Beige Full Leather
    1999 Miata - Brilliant Black/Tan Leather

Doesn't seem too far outside the norm to me. Interested to see how bstone handles your request. Maybe you have an alignment issue?
    - Marc

Holy Tire Wear, Batman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Doesn't seem too far outside the norm to me. Interested to see how bstone handles your request. Maybe you have an alignment issue?
    It most DEFINITELY is not normal. I haven't yet had a set of tires that lasted less than 30k MILES, and I've tracked every set of tires I've had up until my current set, which is daily driving only.

I have the S04's on right now and currently at about 15k of usage right now with plenty of tread left.

OP:
    I'd say there's either something wrong with your suspension (if the tire wear isn't even across the tread -- a little more inside wear is normal) OR it's your driving style.

Note, I am the same way as you: I like to drive in an enthusiastic way when it comes to corners's but that's it. I don't slow down for turns. I also do not accelerate or brake hard, unless I'm on an exit or on ramp with nobody in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

hey ayan!

definitely sounds like an alignment issue - have you replaced your RTABs?

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Something is up for sure. I bought a full set of the same tires at 107k and now at 117k and I still got plenty of tread left. And my driving style is pretty aggressive when it comes to cornering. Car is a daily driver.

That wear is not typical. Must be a soft compound?

The friendliest forum on the planet!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post

They're soft, but not THAT soft. My Dunlop ZII's, a much softer tire, are at 10k and have about half their life left. I have about -2.5 of camber, with only a bit of toe in on the rear, 0 in front. They are on a car roughly 400lbs lighter than the ZHP though.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post

If it was that soft, we'd all have the same wear characteristics, with very minor variations.

P.S. - I didn't even realize it was you posting this Ayan... I should read more carefully.

Is it possible your gauge is reading incorrectly for tire tread measurement?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Greetings Ayan! Do we know what the treadwear rating is for this particular tire? Perhaps Brent has been borrowing the keys in the overnight!!

-Brettski

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I just took off a set of Pole Position S04's....very disappointing. I didn't get 20,000 miles out of a set and I drive 90% highway. The tread wore unusually quick.

Replaced with a set of Continental Extreme Contact DW. We'll see how those go. They are sticky.
    Last edited by SoarinZHP; 08-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast