Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Horns! View Post
    I've read that the plastic zip ties will eventually fail because they get brittle and break in the "harsh" environment inside the door. Has anyone ever tried using stainless steel zip ties?
    If you use a good quality zip tie I wouldn't worry about it. Probably last longer than the regulator. LOL

I have to wonder if there is some movement on the cable in that area if it might wear on a stainless one possibly eventually breaking/cutting it.

In this instance I think the nylon zip tie might be the better choice. TBH, I've never had any regulator problems though.....so far.....all I'm going by is from looking at pics.

The zip tie fix...really is meant as a temp repair.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I was just thinking that this was a good DIY but then it occurred to me that wouldn't it be easier to simply replace the regulator with a new while following this DIY? I was just thinking that if I were to do this and take out my regulator, I might as well as replace the whole thing since it's already out....just a thought...

David, I will say awesome job getting this DIY though When the time comes for me to do this I will at least have a good DIY to follow to replace my regulators.

Thanks......and umm.....your above statement is correct, except im cheap and didn't want to spend 100/ regulator... just delaying the inevitable.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Yes...unless its late at night, window fails, and you know you're going to need to roll it down the next day to show I.D. ;o)

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    Thanks......and umm.....your above statement is correct, except im cheap and didn't want to spend 100/ regulator... just delaying the inevitable.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    No worries David. When I first looked over your DIY I was thinking that this was awesome! Then after a few drinks of Disaronno & Patron it came to me to just get a new regulator and replace it since your DIY showed it already removed... Yeah, I can see if you want to save cash and just want to get it working again.

Didn't mean to take away from what you posted....

This guy says his has been working for "several few years now". :-)

http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/index.html

I agree though, if I had to take mine apart I'd probably just install a new one AND install zip ties on the new one. I just hate the thought of having to break that seal in the vapor barrier and ending up with a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    .....I agree though, if I had to take mine apart I'd probably just install a new one AND install zip ties on the new one. I just hate the thought of having to break that seal in the vapor barrier and ending up with a leak.
    Now that's a great idea... Probably won't have to worry about that regulator for an incredibly long time...

Mine is 2 years going on the first one. I think i have done at least 2 or 3 of them......

And no offense at all charlie. Amazing how a little patron will get a mans mind going! I think i owe my springs to burbon. Nowadays, I stay away from the interweb while drinking lest i spend my son's college fund on a supercharger.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast