Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello All - Long Time 2003 ZHP owner checking in

Hello,
    I've been a long time lurker here and finally was able to register to join the forum.
    Have had my 2003 Black/Black ZHP for about 7 years. Absolutely love it as my daily driver. I have a Porsche 996 that is track modified, but for daily driving to work & on real roads the 330i is a much better car.

It has about 130K miles on it now and I've done almost nothing to it. It has a set of 18" Beyern Mesh wheels, a K&N filter and I recently put a set of Turner Motorsport brass caliper bushings in the front to bring the old girl's brakes bake to life. Other than that, it's bone stock.

Just had my first headlight go last week and the gearbox or rear diff bushings seem to be finally shot, but otherwise it's been a low maintenance dream.

I registered because I'm starting to think about replacing her with a "facelifted" e90 328 w/ M-Sport/Perf. pkg. Really on the fence about it since this car has been so good to me. But I need a reliable daily driver and as the miles pile up on the ZHP I'm concerned it may start needing some attention after about 150K ;p

Here a little blog I did years ago with some pics. Enjoy.
    http://apexzhp.blogspot.com/

Very nice!

Good looking car. I think 130k miles is barely broke in. Keep up with the maintenance and it won't be an issue. A lot of guys on here are sitting pretty still with 200k

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Welcome...

7 years and 130k is nothing. Keep up with maintenance and enjoy the car.

Why do you say the gearbox or diff bushings are shot? Clunking noise?

yes, shuddering and occasional clunk when releasing clutch from a dead stop.

I'M AT 251K MILES :P

still waiting for it to break on me haha

Quote Originally Posted by apex944 View Post
    It has about 130K miles on it now and I've done almost nothing to it.
    You made this comment which brought up some flags in my mind... I have a few quesitons based on this comment. First, have you overhauled your cooling system yet (water pump/thermostat/radiator/hoses/sensor replacement)? You're close to needing to replace your fuel pump as well. This is not hard to do and when you do this (if you do) I would also suggest having your fuel filter replaced as well... Generally speaking... maintenance on these cars is not hard especially if you have some friends who are more knowledgeable to lend you a hand If you like this car so much then there's no need to get another as long as you can properly maintain this car.

yes, shuddering and occasional clunk when releasing clutch from a dead stop.
    When was the last time you had your rear subframes checked out? If you don't know what I'm talking about or if you never have done that I would suggest having your rear subframes checked for cracks...

I registered because I'm starting to think about replacing her with a "facelifted" e90 328 w/ M-Sport/Perf. pkg. Really on the fence about it since this car has been so good to me. But I need a reliable daily driver and as the miles pile up on the ZHP I'm concerned it may start needing some attention after about 150K ;p
    Your car looks great (that what we can see) and extrapolating, guessing it is that way inside. One of the BMW's I've owned was an E90 with sport package, etc. It was highly capable and competent. I liked it a lot but I got rid of it for my ZHP because the E90 was too isolated. The ZHP is much more connected and lets you feel what is going on. To say nothing of E90 run-flats, no dipstick, or spare.

I would agree that checking the rear subframe is warranted, and if it is good, I would keep the ZHP and spend good money to get good results with the ZHP. Once the preventative maintenance/maintenance items are addressed (whatever you've not yet done), you will have a trusty and fun ride. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    You made this comment which brought up some flags in my mind... I have a few quesitons based on this comment. First, have you overhauled your cooling system yet (water pump/thermostat/radiator/hoses/sensor replacement)? You're close to needing to replace your fuel pump as well. This is not hard to do and when you do this (if you do) I would also suggest having your fuel filter replaced as well... Generally speaking... maintenance on these cars is not hard especially if you have some friends who are more knowledgeable to lend you a hand If you like this car so much then there's no need to get another as long as you can properly maintain this car.

When was the last time you had your rear subframes checked out? If you don't know what I'm talking about or if you never have done that I would suggest having your rear subframes checked for cracks...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfbmw View Post
    Your car looks great (that what we can see) and extrapolating, guessing it is that way inside. One of the BMW's I've owned was an E90 with sport package, etc. It was highly capable and competent. I liked it a lot but I got rid of it for my ZHP because the E90 was too isolated. The ZHP is much more connected and lets you feel what is going on. To say nothing of E90 run-flats, no dipstick, or spare.

I would agree that checking the rear subframe is warranted, and if it is good, I would keep the ZHP and spend good money to get good results with the ZHP. Once the preventative maintenance/maintenance items are addressed (whatever you've not yet done), you will have a trusty and fun ride. My two cents.
    ^^ All of this.

It's way cheaper to do the maintenance on the ZHP than it is to get an E90. If you really like it and do the maintenance on it, going to an E90 328 isn't really going to feel like it's worth it. If it was a 335i that'd be a different story, but the 328 and ZHP have almost the same power yet the ZHP feels better to drive, IMO. Also it's lighter as well, adding to the fun factor.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Looks super. Welcome

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast