Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looks very clean! Congrats...
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Nicely done Jeff... We are still on the search for ours, it seems the last couple of weeks has killed the inventory on these things... Still eyeballing the ///M down here, but the dealer is being pretty tight on it, and its just a little too high to be in my comfort zone.

We'll see what happens... On the flip side, you scored the exact M-Sport we would like to find. I see you don't have side view cameras... No HUD either? I'm more familiar with individual options than what's included in the different packages...

Anyway, enjoy!
    2011 E90 Lemans Blue/Bamboo Beige M3- Harrop Supercharged IG: lmb_zcp
    2013 F25 Alpine White/Chestnut X3 35i- Family Hauler
    2006 R53 British Racing Green/Panther Black Mini Cooper S FOR SALE! DM for details!
    Past: 2010 X5M, 2014 328d, 2003 330i ZHP, 2004 330i ZHP, 2012 X3 35i
    WTB!! 2009-2012 E91 328i Touring Contact me with info!

Thanks everyone for the kind words/replies.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    looks great! my wife wants one of these. i also like them, but the gas mileage is the main detractor - even in the I6's... 91 octane here is around $5.75/gallon.

peter
    Yes…if you're concerned about gas mileage the X5 (at least the gas versions) is probably not the vehicle for you. As you noted, even the I6 (xDrive35i) is not that great at 16/23, only marginally better than the V8 (14/20). Our 50i guzzles gas but that's okay, I knew that going into this purchase, and everything else that I love about it far outweighs the poor gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
    Nicely done Jeff... We are still on the search for ours, it seems the last couple of weeks has killed the inventory on these things... Still eyeballing the ///M down here, but the dealer is being pretty tight on it, and its just a little too high to be in my comfort zone.

We'll see what happens... On the flip side, you scored the exact M-Sport we would like to find. I see you don't have side view cameras... No HUD either? I'm more familiar with individual options than what's included in the different packages...

Anyway, enjoy!
    Thanks Jon….I'll be on the lookout for your thread after you pull the trigger and make a post! Have you been fine-tuning your search criteria or you've pretty much nailed down the year/color/packages you want?

Correct, no HUD or side-view cameras on mine. Those options were standalone in 2011 and prior, but in 2012 and 2013 they were only available with the Technology Package (along with high-beam assistant). That was a 'nice to have' package on my list but certainly not a requirement.

Jeff
    E90 M3
    F15 X5 50i M Sport
    Former ZHP owner

Quote Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
    Those options were standalone in 2011 and prior, but in 2012 and 2013 they were only available with the Technology Package (along with high-beam assistant).
    I thought high beam assistant wasn't legal in the US. I know we get the auto high beams, but that option isn't the same thing.
    Are yours the high beams that stay on but create a tunnel for oncoming or traffic directly in front of you instead of switching the head beams off?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I thought high beam assistant wasn't legal in the US. I know we get the auto high beams, but that option isn't the same thing.
    Are yours the high beams that stay on but create a tunnel for oncoming or traffic directly in front of you instead of switching the head beams off?
    'High Beam Assistant' is the actual term/name given by BMW for the E70 X5 (2007-2013) and it's basically an auto high beam function. Lots of U.S. owners have this option so it's definitely legal. If this option is turned on, it will automatically switch the high beams on if the sensor behind the rearview mirror doesn't sense any oncoming traffic and the other conditions are dark enough to trigger it (think a dark country road for example). Some like it, some don't…some complain even a street sign with it's reflective finish will trigger it off momentarily. The new 2014+ (F15) X5 has this same feature available and it's called 'Automatic High Beams' on BMWUSA.com.

Via Google search I do see an option called 'BMW Selective Beam' which can exclude oncoming vehicles from high-beam distribution, though I don't know which BMW models have that?

Jeff
    E90 M3
    F15 X5 50i M Sport
    Former ZHP owner

'High Beam Assistant' is the actual term/name given by BMW for the E70 X5 (2007-2013) and it's basically an auto high beam function. Lots of U.S. owners have this option so it's definitely legal. If this option is turned on, it will automatically switch the high beams on if the sensor behind the rearview mirror doesn't sense any oncoming traffic and the other conditions are dark enough to trigger it (think a dark country road for example). Some like it, some don't…some complain even a street sign with it's reflective finish will trigger it off momentarily. The new 2014+ (F15) X5 has this same feature available and it's called 'Automatic High Beams' on BMWUSA.com.

Via Google search I do see an option called 'BMW Selective Beam' which can exclude oncoming vehicles from high-beam distribution, though I don't know which BMW models have that?
    High Beam Assistant (according to all of the documentation I read) is actually the second thing you mention. What it does is there is an Automatic High Beam button on the stalk. Once pushed, it will leave the high beams on when conditions permit for it and if there's oncoming traffic, it will redirect the beam while leaving the high beams on so it doesn't blind traffic. Here is a video on how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

While they are demonstrating the LED headlights in that video, that Highbeam Assist technology is available for certain models with Xenons as well. Your generation of X5 does not have that technology.

The option yours has is that it just switches the highbeams off automatically when there's oncoming traffic. Consider your auto/off highbeams as "Auto Highbeams" and Highbeam Assistant more of a "auto high-beams PLUS", if you will...

The Highbeam Assist doesn't seem to exist in the US; it only appears to be in other markets in other parts of the world. F30's with Xenons should have this technology as an option (you can find videos on YouTube of it in action in the UK), as well as any of the BMWs with LED headlights. I'm not sure if F10's have this option, but I would imagine the facelifted ones to have it. This option requires extra hardware that the US cars do not have.

I've been fascinated with the High Beam Assist technology and keep hoping it makes its way to our shores... I want that in my F80 M3 damn it! I'll retrofit it if I have to... (when I buy it, that is... )
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    High Beam Assistant (according to all of the documentation I read) is actually the second thing you mention. What it does is there is an Automatic High Beam button on the stalk. Once pushed, it will leave the high beams on when conditions permit for it and if there's oncoming traffic, it will redirect the beam while leaving the high beams on so it doesn't blind traffic. Here is a video on how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

While they are demonstrating the LED headlights in that video, that Highbeam Assist technology is available for certain models with Xenons as well. Your generation of X5 does not have that technology.

The option yours has is that it just switches the highbeams off automatically when there's oncoming traffic. Consider your auto/off highbeams as "Auto Highbeams" and Highbeam Assistant more of a "auto high-beams PLUS", if you will...

The Highbeam Assist doesn't seem to exist in the US; it only appears to be in other markets in other parts of the world. F30's with Xenons should have this technology as an option (you can find videos on YouTube of it in action in the UK), as well as any of the BMWs with LED headlights. I'm not sure if F10's have this option, but I would imagine the facelifted ones to have it. This option requires extra hardware that the US cars do not have.

I've been fascinated with the High Beam Assist technology and keep hoping it makes its way to our shores... I want that in my F80 M3 damn it! I'll retrofit it if I have to... (when I buy it, that is... )
    Sorry, you are correct. I was mixing up 'Automatic High Beams' and 'High Beam Assistant.' Strange though - I just re-read the 2012 X5 press guide and they refer to it as 'Automatic High Beams' while the VIN decoder calls it 'High Beam Assistant.' Either way if the features is activated (on the stalk or in iDrive as I've read) it will engage (turn on the high beams) once it senses the conditions are appropriate and turn off the high beam when it senses they aren't.

Whatever you want to call it, it's definitely not the selective version that adjusts to oncoming traffic w/o actually turning off.

My X5 doesn't have it so I haven't read up too much on it. I don't even use the auto headlights on my ZHP so no loss for me...I like to turn stuff on/off at my choosing, not a sensor

Jeff
    E90 M3
    F15 X5 50i M Sport
    Former ZHP owner

This is a great X5. Interior and steering wheel = perfect. Good stuff.
    - Marc

Sorry, you are correct. I was mixing up 'Automatic High Beams' and 'High Beam Assistant.' Strange though - I just re-read the 2012 X5 press guide and they refer to it as 'Automatic High Beams' while the VIN decoder calls it 'High Beam Assistant.' Either way if the features is activated (on the stalk or in iDrive as I've read) it will engage (turn on the high beams) once it senses the conditions are appropriate and turn off the high beam when it senses they aren't.

Whatever you want to call it, it's definitely not the selective version that adjusts to oncoming traffic w/o actually turning off.

My X5 doesn't have it so I haven't read up too much on it. I don't even use the auto headlights on my ZHP so no loss for me...I like to turn stuff on/off at my choosing, not a sensor
    Yeah you had me all excited when you said your car had that feature. lol
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Nice find!

We've got a X5 4.8i to keep my ZHP company.

...Yes, if you're concerned about gas mileage the X5 (at least the fun versions) is probably not the vehicle for you.
    corrected.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast