Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BMW Performance Intake Filter. Possible alternative from AFE/AEM

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to gain some interest on getting a high flow replacement filter made for the BMW Performance intake. I spoke with AFE, but will also try and contact AEM as well. The goal is to get a better filter for throttle response, sound, and a few HP.

Please put your name down on the list if you're interested.

I posted this on e46F about this as well.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...223&highlight=
    Euro Techniks

The list so far.

1) secono330ci
    2) serdar255
    3) JapanRot325ci
    4) eneka
    Euro Techniks

Is the aftermarket filter no bueno?

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Interested

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

2004 B6 A4 Ultrasport Arctic White : Black : 1.8T : Quattro : 6MT

i'm in.
    04 Vert/Sapphire Black/Black/Silver Cube/MT/CWP/Xenons/HK-NAV/BMW Performance Air Intake and CF Strut Bar

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post

Was wondering the same thing???

2004 black on black 330ci ~Mason

The aftermarket ones made by Napa and Wix are already practically the same as the OEM one, which is good already. imo the filter itself isn't as important as the design of the intake box or maybe some tubing that leads from the fog duct up to the intake.

If there is indeed a new filter coming out claiming to increase HP then I'd want to see a dyno. Intakes don't add much HP to our NA I6 let alone the filter replacement by itself.

^ the money is in the filter. Go oe if you have the perf intake. The after market ones aren't as good.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post

They are most likely fine. I personally would replace it with a BMW OEM filter if I was going the paper route, but for the price of the Napa (etc) it's hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by TWong1200 View Post
    Interested
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
    i'm in.
    Great I'll add your names to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by SoDelBMW View Post
    Was wondering the same thing???
    Quote Originally Posted by JKO_ZHP View Post
    The aftermarket ones made by Napa and Wix are already practically the same as the OEM one, which is good already. imo the filter itself isn't as important as the design of the intake box or maybe some tubing that leads from the fog duct up to the intake.

If there is indeed a new filter coming out claiming to increase HP then I'd want to see a dyno. Intakes don't add much HP to our NA I6 let alone the filter replacement by itself.
    The design of the intake box IS the most important thing. I have a tube that goes down to the fog duct as well. But the paper filter doesn't have that throttle response like an AFE filter would have. I also would not doubt a bit of HP increase simply because it flows better than paper. Maybe not on a stock car really, but a modified one I really believe so. These companies like AFE/AEM have come a long way keeping the restriction at a minimum while creating the best filtration possible.

I remember a while ago about 3 or 4 years ago I had done multiple pulls against a really good friend of mines e46 M3 vert. At the time I had 2 intakes on hand... First 5 runs were with the Dinan Airbox (k&n filter). Once that was over, we pulled over, let the cars cool down and swapped in the BMW Performance Airbox. .....It wasn't really close. The paper filter is what killed the BMW intake. I could get a nice jump with the Dinan because the filter had better throttle response and it kept pulling. My car is heavily modified which is probably another reason it made a difference like that. To give you an idea it was about a car length difference.

The BMW CSL didn't use a K&N style filter in the Airbox for nothing...

Now I'm not saying this will make massive power, but for around the same price of an OEM filter you could get one that is better built, has better throttle response, nicer growl, and even a bit of HP.
    Euro Techniks

Do not know much about the Performance Intake System. But willing to learn more.
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast