Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A little update on this:

Went under the car tonight. Replaced sway bar bushings (the rubber ones, not endlinks). Supported front subframe and replaced all 4 bolts on there, torqued to 110Nm spec.

Where things get more complicated is that the last bolt of the reinforcement brace snapped in the frame. I decided to not waste any time on it, buttoned up everything except the brace and will drop the car off at the shop first thing tomorrow.

The good thing is that over the 2 miles I drove without the brace, the car was dead smooth and no pirate ship noise. Pending removal of the broken bolt and reinstallation of the brace I'm confident this will be the final resolution.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Nice!

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    So I've been reading about this and most people with this mystery sound traced it to the front subframe or the chassis reinforcement plate. Turns out the latter's 8 bolts are single use. I must have removed and reinstalled them 3-4 times since I've been driving this car...
    wow, those are stretch bolts, huh? hmmm. it makes sense that a subframe bolt would be, but not the brace. oh well. ya, i've removed mine a few times, too...

A little update on this:

Went under the car tonight. Replaced sway bar bushings (the rubber ones, not endlinks). Supported front subframe and replaced all 4 bolts on there, torqued to 110Nm spec.

Where things get more complicated is that the last bolt of the reinforcement brace snapped in the frame. I decided to not waste any time on it, buttoned up everything except the brace and will drop the car off at the shop first thing tomorrow.

The good thing is that over the 2 miles I drove without the brace, the car was dead smooth and no pirate ship noise. Pending removal of the broken bolt and reinstallation of the brace I'm confident this will be the final resolution.

nice. so do you think it was the subframe bolts (seems unlikely) or the reinforcement brace bolts that had stretched too much? i can't imagine they would creak if torqued properly, even if they are stretch bolts... but, then again, stranger things have happened.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

nice was gonna say i had a similar noise, turned out to be loose strut that needed to be tightened down
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    nice. so do you think it was the subframe bolts (seems unlikely) or the reinforcement brace bolts that had stretched too much? i can't imagine they would creak if torqued properly, even if they are stretch bolts... but, then again, stranger things have happened.

peter
    There were 3 that were finger tight. That's probably where the creaking is coming from. They were a mess of rust though, so I'm not regretting replacing them.

At the shop right now to get that stud outta there.

Mystery noise (audio)

Bolt was drilled out and replaced. Everything put back together, reinforcement plates torqued to spec. Problem is finally solved - car rides smooth as butter now. Been looking forward to this day forever!

wo ho. glad it was fixed! Hopefully neither of us will have to retighten the subframe bolts again in our ownership!
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

There were 3 that were finger tight. That's probably where the creaking is coming from. They were a mess of rust though, so I'm not regretting replacing them.

At the shop right now to get that stud outta there.
    which 3 were finger tight - on the subframe or the reinforcement plate?

glad you got it sorted!

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

On the plate. While I think Zman's loose ones were on the subframe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12