Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Intermittent loss of oomph

I noticed this starting in maybe a week ago or so. Moreso under spirited, but not flat out accel I would be going on my merry way and then around the 4k mark I'd hit a highly noticeable slump and then the power would be back on in full. I also noticed a slight, fraction of a second power loss while driving last night cruising at highway speeds. Thoughts? No CEL, fuel filter is new. VANOS might be rattling a bit but I have to really pay attention to notice it.

Debate incoming in 3, 2, 1...

Anyways, people will say you need the "Jersey Fix" which is essentially BMW flashing new software to your DME to fix the issue. There is evidence, however, that all they do is disable the DISA. On the other hand, I've updated to the most recent mainstream software and had my DISA and VANOS fixed and still had the issue, as do many other ZHP owners.

You can never fully get rid of it. You may flash a tune that minimilizes it, but a dyno run will always show a dip that 4,000rpm.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post

Anyways, people will say you need the "Jersey Fix" which is essentially BMW flashing new software to your DME to fix the issue. There is evidence, however, that all they do is disable the DISA. On the other hand, I've updated to the most recent mainstream software and had my DISA and VANOS fixed and still had the issue, as do many other ZHP owners.

You can never fully get rid of it. You may flash a tune that minimilizes it, but a dyno run will always show a dip that 4,000rpm.
    I think it boils down to each engine being a little different from one to another.

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

The only thing that has me sketchy about this being "the" dip. Is that I'm doing my standard driving and this is new; pronounced enough for me to think that I'm letting off of the gas, or that the clutch is slipping; and that it feels quasi similiar to when I get fuel starvation when I'm on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckel View Post
    I think it boils down to each engine being a little different from one to another.
    They are all designed the same. I think enough people have the issue that we can consider a design flaw.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post

God the last thing I want is New Jersey doing anything to my car.

Maybe I'm just not observant enough, but I don't notice a 4k dip in my car. VANOS has been fixed with the besian seals and my disa valve has been fixed with the G.A.S. kit.

No New Jersey required.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

The power dip you all are referring to is not what he is describing. The "power dip" hardly has any real effect on actual acceleration. What he is describing is a complete loss of power at that area of the power band. Fuel starvation is not fun; if it feels like that, then almost all of the power (if not, all of it) is gone for that brief moment. It's literally as though you completely took your foot off the throttle...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I have to agree with Botond on this one.

OP- what is the current mileage? Could be a failing fuel pump, or pressure regulator.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

In the low 89k range.
    Would be nice if the car would throw a code at me.

I had similar symptoms until this weekend when my car would just not start, no codes either. Fuel pump is dead, should be installing the new one this afternoon. I am about 70k miles as well.

2004 BMW 330CI ZHP, Silver Grey Metallic, Dinan: Stage 2 Software, High Flow Intake,
    Free Flow Exhaust, Front Strut Bar, Stage 2 Suspension System, Staggered Hartge Replica Wheels,
    M3 Mirrors (Side and Interior), M3 Seats

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast