Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avin Avant 2

Avin Avant 2

Name:  WP_20140830_18_02_47_Pro.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  215.8 KBName:  WP_20140822_15_00_46_Pro.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  230.9 KBI am a geek for a living so when I saw I could get an android based head unit for my new toy I was all over it. Originally I tried one of the cheaper units on E-Bay but after getting it installed it did not work with the HK Amp in my unit, So after research etc I figured out how to get it to turn on the AMP with the right wires etc. still it sounded like crap and did not work well. Speakers would make a crackle noise every time it would start to play any audio, Bluetooth would connect but not get any sound, and the GPS wouldn't get any signal etc. No response from the seller no knowledge of the product. Further it was crashing left and right and I ended up returning it, and getting a refund.

After doing some research I decided to go with an Avant 2 via Avinusa.com after IM chatting with Tommy, the site owner, confirming that it works fine with the factory amp, he offered me a $50 discount to buy it "today" so I decided to go ahead with the purchase.
    This thing is awesome to say the least, and the support I received from AvinUSA.com is top notch.

Removal of the existing head unit was straight forward and tons of videos on Youtube, as well as detailed instructions at avinusa.com.

Installation was fairly straight forward for the head unit, and the hardest part is finding a place to stuff all of the wiring harness's as you close it all back up. All of the factory harnesses remain completely in tact and you need the HVAC relocation kit if you do not have NAV, or you need the power cable if you do have NAV.

Installing the license plate light backup camera and running the wires for the backup camera is a complete pain in the ass. not complex just time consuming. But it looks completely factory and works great.

Had some challenges with radio reception but a software update (do the software update first as it wipes EVERYTHING) and it was fixed.

Overall happy with the unit, extremely happy with the support and help from Avinusa and very happy with the performance.

The Bluetooth works great, and my wife says I am clear but a sound just a little far from the Mic, still she can hear me great and it works great with the steering wheel buttons.

Torque Pro works great with a cheap Bluetooth ODB2 adapter that I already had, but I do wish there was an accelerometer in the head unit, as it relies on just the GPS for calculations and it would be really nice to have a G-Meter on the screen.

I have a T-Mobile family plan for my personal cell so they give me a data/tablet sim for $10/Month with 1GB this allows me to use a MiFi with the battery removed, attached via USB to the Avin so it turns on when it gets power and shuts down when it doesn't. I have the free Mapfactor Navigation for offline use:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ctor.navigator
    And for online use the T-Mobile 1 GB gives me more than enough data for Waze, Yelp, TripAdvisor, Roadtrippers, Accuweather and other apps I find useful for being on the road, not sure I want to stream videos or even do Pandora (I will test it for a day to figure out how much data it will burn).
    There are just so many apps you can use with this it is insane, things like GPS Lap timers etc.

I have not tested the iphone cable or integration.

Wishes for updates:
    Would love an accelerometer in the unit for Torque.
    I would love to be able to map the R/T button on my steering wheel to something (an App or a speed dial list or voice recognition or anything).
    Would love to be able to add apps to the initial start up screen.
    Generic WiDi / Miracast for use with any android or windows device.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great review. Thanks for taking the time. Did you have a nav or non-nav car to start with?

Sound quality I assume it good. More power than factory HU?

Great review. I agree that the Avant 2 is a very nice product.
    My only gripe is with the amount of glare on the screen in daylight with the top down. But, hey ........ 1st World Problem, right?
    AMP

2006 330cic ZHP, BSM w/ NB, AT, ECS CF Strut Bar, BMW Performance Intake, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, PosiQuiet Pads
    2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 5.7L Hemi, 37" Goodyear MTR's on TWF Double Beadlocks, tons of other mods
    1965 VW Beetle, Competition Yellow, working on a 2056cc RAT Type IV transplant, full body - off resto about 10 years ago

Non nav car to start, audio quality is good, it is still using the factory amp since my car had one, so power difference is irrelevant. Otherwise I would have to do an amp bypass and run all new speaker wires throughout the car, then I am sure I would also "have to" upgrade all of the speakers,... Screen glare is a challenge, wondering if an anti glare screen protector might help.

Brian M
    1990 E30 M3 Sold 2014
    2005 330CIC 6sp ZHP
    2006 Mini Cooper S
    2011 Toyota Venza my Snow and Tow vehicle

Thanks. I was wondering if an screen protector might not work. How does the control button/knob back-lighting match the BMW controls?

Perfect color match for the backlighting.

Brian M
    1990 E30 M3 Sold 2014
    2005 330CIC 6sp ZHP
    2006 Mini Cooper S
    2011 Toyota Venza my Snow and Tow vehicle

That looks awesome!

Does this still work?

Quote Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
    That looks awesome!

Does this still work?
    The unit plugs into the factory harness so the HK button should still work normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The unit plugs into the factory harness so the HK button should still work normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's really cool, so it's a function of the amp, not the head unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
    That's really cool, so it's a function of the amp, not the head unit?
    Thought it was... I could be wrong.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast