Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Mechanic Destroyed My Car

Well the BMW is a total loss...Beyond pissed.

The guy who installed my clutch last year did it wrong. He installed it wrong, and over torqued the bolts on the bell housing and installed them crooked causing them to cross thread. Would need a new block or new complete engine, and possibly a transmission. All in all dealership said around 8 grand to get it fixed.

The shop that did the work last year is out of business, and I just found out the shop wasn't even legally incorporated until half way through replacing my clutch.

I don't know what to do. I have one payment left on the car.
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

Ouch. If you wanna keep the car I'd get a used 325 engine and a used tranny, and make sure a reputable shop installs the kit... Engines in decent condition seem to be ~$1000-1500 at IN yards, 5MT's $400-600... Check car-part.com.

Otherwise if the car isn't worth it part it out or sell it as is (~$2k maybe ?) and move on.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Ouch that is a tough one. How did the dealership find out about it, were they pulling the transmission to replace the clutch again? I have never removed my transmission, but I removed 2 of the bolts once to change the starter. Perhaps it is possible to time-sert or Helicoil the mounting holes on the block? That solution normally works well but not sure the block has enough material around each bolt hole to take an insert.

My other thought is that if the dealership said $8,000 to fix it, a decent indie shop can do it for $4,000, perhaps $2500 for a used engine $1500 to swap it. Still that's a lot of money. Thread inserts could be done for $1000 to $1500 by an indie shop I think, if there is enough space around the cross threaded holes in the block. THat would be $800-$1000 to remove and reinstall transmission, and $200 to $500 to drill out and fix each of the stripped holes. But I could be wrong if the engine has to be removed to install the thread inserts. This assumes the transmission is reusable.

From a financial resource standpoint, you could try to see if the repair shop had business insurance at the time they did the work. And if you paid for it with a credit card, you might be able to dispute the charge or get the work warrantied in some way, depending on your credit card's consumer protection benefits.

Gawd this sucks Will.

The friendliest forum on the planet!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Really hate to hear that. I'm sure you can find a solution though.

'01 330i

So sorry to hear that. Good ideas above. I'm sure more will come.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Mechanic Destroyed My Car

Someone on facebook mentioned B30 swap for $1500. Anyone have any incite on this?

Said shop that did the work is no longer in business.
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

This was hard to read. Sorry to hear the shitty news Will. I hope you find a cheap solution to the problem.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by SureShot434 View Post
    Someone on facebook mentioned B30 swap for $1500. Anyone have any incite on this?

Said shop that did the work is no longer in business.
    Someone on here did it. You're looking at much more expense as many of the bolt on components are different; electronics are different as well. Not sure I'd go down this road.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Really sorry to hear that. Not being a legitimate business might be a blessing in disguise as I believe you can now just sue the owner in small claims court. My guess is he didn't have the right tool to install a BMW Self Adjusting Clutch, removed the lock on the flywheel, then used the bolts to force it together. At this point I think what you need is an indy who works with / knows a metal fabricator who can weld in the holes and drill and tap them. Or depending on miles just go with a rebuilt engine.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast