Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Active Autowerke Exhaust video/review with AFE stage 1 update.

Hey guys, after a hectic month I was finally able to find some time to make an exhaust video for you guys as well as give a quick look at what the AFE CAI looks like in the engine bay. My buddy and I made this in the spur of the moment so it's not as polished as I feel it should be. But it'll give you guys an idea of what the AA headers and exhaust package sound like.

AA headers and Exhaust: I have gotten the chance recently to ride in a normal E46 330 as well as a bone stock ZHP. All I can say is wow. I do love the way the stock ZHP exhaust sounds and even though it's a great system, it's a bit too quiet for me. I blame that on my muscle car roots haha.

The cat-less headers make a noticeable difference with the pickup and feel of the car as well as add a better and more pronounced sound. Paired with the AA exhaust the car then has a great tune that, while a bit raspy and seemingly high pitched in the cabin, outside sounds surprisingly good and quite aggressive at WOT. All while managing to stay away from that typically annoying and just pointlessly loud sound of a fart can special.

Under 3k rpm the exhaust is fairly quiet and even a bit reserved while keeping a low growl and a nice low rumble. Above 3k rpm when pressing of the accelerator the exhaust becomes very loud, very aggressive, and personal opinion here but veery fun to listen to. At highway speeds it's noticeable but it settles into a more refined and mellow tone.

AFE PRO DRY CAI Intake update :

Definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY noticeable at 3k rpm and above. The car, simply put, breathes better. I tossed my oem air box back on for a week and I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference. I even have a K&N drop in for it... There is certainly a big difference. Once again as I stated before, I am in no position to toss out HP numbers. But the butt dyno likes it lol. You can feel the car breathe better across the rev range and the associated ear candy melody coming from the engine bay is wonderful.

My particular intake has a lil whistle with it. Yeees I've checked my vacuum lines and already replaced both intake boots and have no codes associated with it or power loss. And you can hear it coming from the intake. It's a lil different from the sound of a vacuum leak. Some people hate that whistle. Me? Well I like all kinds of "good" engine noises so, I love it.

Conclusion:

If you're sitting here debating to modify your exhaust or intake.... Just do it already lol. The combined ear candy alone is worth it. And the feeling of a car breathing better at both ends vs stock is both surprising and welcome.

Last edited by Fenrir; 09-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Thanks for the video, Ben. I love your car.. it sounds so yummy. Which came first, the intake or the exhaust?
    Hi, I'm John, and I miss my 6MT Alcantara baby! | 2003 Orient Blue 330i ZHP
    Had: ARC8's | Poly Bushings | Koni Yellows | Perf Brakes | TMS Subframe | Hotchkiss | LOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by OtterEffect View Post
    Thanks for the video, Ben. I love your car.. it sounds so yummy. Which came first, the intake or the exhaust?
    Thank you very much . The exhaust was first thanks to the PO. He had a lot of the work done when he was in Germany and thankfully it was done right the first time. I added the intake about two months ago.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Ben, always love your reviews and videos. Clear and concise with your opinions. Any chance on a "Quaife 3.07 Helical LSD" review video anytime soon? And by that I mean...sideways ZHP circular movement action in an open space!

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    Ben, always love your reviews and videos. Clear and concise with your opinions. Any chance on a "Quaife 3.07 Helical LSD" review video anytime soon? And by that I mean...sideways ZHP circular movement action in an open space!
    Thanks . I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. One of these days I'll actually be able to set aside some time and do a proper video lol.

Aaaaand on the LSD review I diiiiid tell my Uncle, who happens to be a retired cop of all things lol, that I'd teach him to drift next time I'm home so some open space sideways action seems to be the next thing on the agenda . I will say that drifting an LSD ZHP is... Different.

It's not a powerhouse like the M3 or a muscle car is so you can't just slam the throttle and insta drift it or Clarkson power slide it. And it's heavier than most proper rwd jdm *read silvias and rx7's* so inertia drifting is different as well. Hmm. It's a bit of a mix of both I'd kinda say. The weight helps get that back end around, especially on a good suspension setup. And the car is easy to steer with the throttle at the limit. But, it is certainly different. Not weird... Just different, going sideways in a ZHP.

Sent from a blue police box.
    Last edited by Fenrir; 09-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.

-Ben

Great review, I have the same AFE intake but oiled and love it, now I really want to buy AA headers!

Lol The headers are totally worth it Nick. Oiled or dry, CAI/Ram Air intakes are a nice bonus when paired with an exhaust system. You'll notice a difference with the intake if you go with headers.
    Last edited by Fenrir; 09-26-2014 at 02:02 AM.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by NickZHP View Post
    Great review, I have the same AFE intake but oiled and love it, now I really want to buy AA headers!
    If you want to save money, the bimmerbrakes headers are great! I went with those and have no fitment issues or mounting issues. Took me 7 hrs by myself to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Lol The headers are totally worth it Nick. Oild or dry, CAI/Ram Air intakes are a nice bonus when paired with an exhaust system. You'll notice a difference with the intake if you go with headers.
    +1 I like how the active sounds. It's a bit higher of a pitch than I'm looking for, but sounds good nonetheless. I plan to go magnaflow for mine.

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

++1 I totally agree. It took me a bit to get used to the higher tone of the AA system. I would definitely recommend the Magnaflow system for a deeper tone.

Last edited by Fenrir; 02-27-2015 at 06:37 PM.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Aaaaand on the LSD review I diiiiid tell my Uncle, who happens to be a retired cop of all things lol, that I'd teach him to drift next time I'm home so some open space sideways action seems to be the next thing on the agenda . I will say that drifting an LSD ZHP is... Different.

+1
    Hi, I'm John, and I miss my 6MT Alcantara baby! | 2003 Orient Blue 330i ZHP
    Had: ARC8's | Poly Bushings | Koni Yellows | Perf Brakes | TMS Subframe | Hotchkiss | LOVE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast