Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tkundhi View Post
    Let's start from the beginning. What was the original issue you were trying to fix?

There really isn't a need to throw parts at most problems. Suspension problems and brake issues are generally pretty easy to diagnosis by properly inspecting the car. For suspension parts basically make sure there are no cracks and no play. For example on a control arm ball joint, try to compress it. If you can then it is bad and needs to be replaced. I have yet to see a suspension part that has failed and passed visual inspection. You just need to know what to look for. Cracks in rubber, bad.

Regarding a sticky caliper. It will usually stick after you apply the brakes and then pull to one side. Also as someone else mentioned it will heat things up. But, I wouldn't check with your bare hand. You can easily get burned. Brake parts get hot. BTDT.

Now on to some of the brake comments. Sorry but I disagree with several comments about brakes. They are internet lore and misconception. Generally speaking people will say don't turn a BMW rotor. This is because they aren't usually warped. Unless it is a cheapo rotor from China or something similar. Simple comment, OEM does not mean the same as BMW or OE. Be sure to buy OE or BMW quality parts. Now back to the brake rotors. There is a thickness spec. You can turn a rotor if it is warped but still within the thickness spec. But most places won't do that because it is cheaper and easier to simply replace. Plus modern quality rotors are difficult to warp. Ridges, lips and cracks in rotors are bad and generally signs that the parts should be replaced. BTW, some warped rotor claims are nothing more than pad build up.

As far as cross drilled rotors go. Most are simply for show and don't perform as well as a solid vented rotor. Look closely at the cross drilled rotors and you will often find small cracks between the holes. I'm not talking about the expensive ones found on exotics but the stuff most people put on their BMWs. Unless you drive roads like the Tail of the Dragon or CA canyon roads really aggressively it is highly unlikely you are heating up your brake system to the point where brake disc heat dissipation is really an issue. And if you are I can almost guarantee the problem is your fluid and braking technique not the rotor. Plus you should NOT be driving like that on public roads.

All that said you can experience strange brake issues under extreme conditions that are very difficult to isolate. For example a buddy had vibrations coming from the rear of his E36 M3 track car once everything got warm. We replaced the rear rotors. He had OE rotors which where replaced with expensive BMW rotors. He didn't want to waste a whole weekend at the track. But the problem still existed. Turns out there was even a technical term for this symptom, "hot roughness in the rear." One of the guys driving the car was key automotive engineer/racer and mentors the BMW Performance Driving School instructors. Sometimes the mix of parts just doesn't work right together. The expert's words not mine. These guys were running the M3 hard. It was fine for a few laps and then when the pads were up to temp the problem manifested. Slow down for a lap and the problem was gone. Pick the pace back up and it reappeared. For these guys slowing down meant backing off so the car was only a couple seconds a lap slower. Still really fast. This car was on R comp tire, solid rotors and Hawk HT10s. The car never experience the problem again after that weekend.

I run Hawk HT10s on my car with OE rotors and ATE brake fluid. I have yet to boil the fluid. Same setup on my E36 M3. My E30 M3 is also similar with Pagid Orange pads. Point being, buy quality OE rotors and skip the bling if you are really after the performance and durability. If you want cross drilled rotors for the looks, that is fine but don't kid yourself into thinking you have better performance. All you are doing is going through rotors and pads faster. Think cheese grater.

FWIW, our "new" ZHP has slotted rotors and the pedal feel is not as good as the "old" car with solid rotors. These slotted rotors will come off soon. I am going to do an event next month with these rotors as the have a lot of life left. Then they will become spares for the wife's car (old car).

OK back to the OP's issue. If you did all the work yourself the first thing to do is reinspect everything. Make sure all the bolts are tight and properly torqued. Start with the lug bolts. Verify the suspension components are not damaged. If you paid someone to do the work, take the car back to them.

t.
    Great points, thanks for taking the time in your detailed response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Yes but "hot roughness in the rear" was a bit distracting.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Yes but "hot roughness in the rear" was a bit distracting.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Lmao.

I'm in for sticking caliper as well. Had that issue before on a rear caliper, "holding the car back".

If it's the fronts, it would make sense that it pulls to one side.

Yes. That is still an ongoing joke. 4 years later.

t.

^^^ Solid points.

However running slotted rotors instead of blanks wont have any difference on pedal feel. They will wear faster as you said, but unless you run stainless steel lines or change pads, pedal feel should be the same.
    I agree. The new car has SS brake lines too. Honestly don't know about the pads as I haven't pulled them off to check. I'll know more in a few weeks after first track event with the new car.

t.

I went for a short drive the other night around the neighborhood and it seemed that the passenger side was warmer and was a bit burny smelly.

Gonna give it one more drive test.

I'm 98% positive that this is the issue. This is quite a relief. I was not connecting those symptoms to the brakes other than that grabbing sensation. This is quite an easy fix and I can replace both front calipers with rebuilt ones for $60 a piece from Turner. Now I have to wait another week once again for the parts to come in and find a day off where I can knock this job out. My car has been out of commission for two weeks. It's killing me! Especially since I got all the front end suspension work done and I have yet to enjoy it.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

We have a problem!

You can also diagnose by having the car on a slight incline and in neutral. If you're supposed to roll back or forward but don't then that's a sign. If you are good with doing your own brake work you can buy caliper seals for $10 and fix the caliper yourself. That's what I did when the front caliper stuck on my car. All has been good after a full brake fluid flush.

Edit: refer to http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13069
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Most likely a stupid question, but as far as bleeding goes, I would like to bleed the system with fresh fluid while I am at it. Do I just bleed each side one at a time? Or can I bleed the whole system once finished replacing the calipers from say the right rear? I'm not to keen on brake jobs.

Question is, should I spend the money on a pressure bleeder kit and how would I go about flushing the entire system? I'm confused from all the videos I have watched and I'm quite tired. After watching the videos, I am under the impression that in order to do a full system flush, I would need to bleed from all 4 calipers?

PS, the brake fluid atm looks great. Looks like fresh cooking oil. I changed it awhile back and I also had the brakes done by a friend of my brother in-law like 6 months ago. I honestly don't know if he flushed the system or not but the fluid looks clean!

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

You must bleed the system if you are going to open it up by replacing calipers. After replacing the calipers, bleed in the following order: RR, LR, RF, LF. You want to go from the furthest to the closest.

IMO, a pressure bleeder is a helpful tool. It doesn't need a lot of pressure, maybe 20 psi. Keep it above the reservoir while bleeding and then below when you disconnect. You can also suck most of the old fluid out of the reservoir to speed things along. Just don't let the reservoir run dry.

t.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast