Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The E46 Love Affair (What's Your Story?)

I remember my first love affair with the E46.

It was winter of 2002. I was a junior in high school and I stopped into my local BMW dealer to drool. They had a Tiag M3 with a CSL boot and CSL wheels sitting on the showroom floor. I vividly remember opening the door and sitting in the drivers seat. I made all the adjustments for the seat and mirrors and I was in awe at how ergonomic the car felt. It was a dream. As my buddy, who I am still friends with to this day, was sitting in the passenger seat, I looked over and said, "I will own one of these one day."

Year after year I always took a double take when seeing any E46 on the road. It just seemed so perfect. I had a Hyundai Tiburon V6 which I supercharged and drove this for years but had grown very tired of it.

A trucker just so happened to spin me out by hitting my quarter panel and flipping the Tiburon 3 times. I walked away.

Name:  IMG_0482.JPG
Views: 1371
Size:  315.6 KBName:  IMG_0483.JPG
Views: 1095
Size:  292.0 KBName:  IMG_0484.JPG
Views: 1014
Size:  243.2 KB

I received my insurance money and saw this as the perfect opportunity to finally make the investment into an E46. So I did.

Still in love and no signs of a break up. My buddy and I went fishing a few weeks back and he was once again sitting in the passenger seat of a Tiag E46 with CSL wheels and says, "Well, you got your BMW." Put a smile on my face. Blood, sweat, and a few tears and I love it more than the day I got it. 160k on the clock and feels just brilliant.

Name:  IMG_0086.JPG
Views: 1312
Size:  2.58 MB

What's your story? Why did you buy an E46? The members of the Mafia always have a great story to tell.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

This also may be best in the members only section.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

Awesome story Mike! That Tiburon you had looked like an awesome car with all the work you put into her....that wreck though.....amazing that you were able to walk away from that after the accident....

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    Awesome story Mike! That Tiburon you had looked like an awesome car with all the work you put into her....that wreck though.....amazing that you were able to walk away from that after the accident....
    Yeah it was a fun car, but I was over the MPG I was getting and I was tired of this being my DD.

Where's your story, brah!?

Quote Originally Posted by mLuMaN83 View Post
    Yeah it was a fun car, but I was over the MPG I was getting and I was tired of this being my DD.

Where's your story, brah!?
    I'm at work right now so when I get home this afternoon I'll post my "BMW" story Mike

Edit: Okay I got some dead time.....

My BMW E46 love affiar started about 10 years ago when a friend of mine asked me to help him detail his Japanrot 323i. He let me take his car out for a spin afterwards and I was immediately hooked by how much that car pulled all the way to red line. At the time I was a Porsche 944 owner. I ended up selling my Porsche because of an impending divorce (yeah....shit happens), and found myself looking for another car. I remembered the time I drove my friend's BMW and now the same friend happens to have a '99 323i Japanrot with black leather interior for sale. Interesting how he happens to have his BMW for sale after finding out I sold my Porsche....coinsidence perhaps? At first glance the E46 lines didn't appeal to me like the E36 lines but as soon as I sat inside, looked around and drove his car.... I was immediately hooked on the E46 (never looked back). I figured I would spend part of every day inside the car while driving it and I realized just how important the interior, as well as the exterior, had to be. To me after taking the time to look over my friend's 323i inside and out....I realized that I really loved the E46 as a complete package so I bought his 323i without doing any research. As I got accustomed to driving the 323i, another opportunity presented itself all because the same friend who sold me his 323i asked me to stop by the BMW dealer by my work to check out a vert he was interested in.

I obliged and stopped at the dealer and I see my ///M parked out back waiting to be sent to auction. I looked at the ///M and asked the salesman if I could test drive it and he responded with yes. Well...after a few test drives, I was really hooked by the raw power the ///M had and ended up adding this car to my stable as well. My addiction with my ///M continued and I ended up selling the 323i and daily driving the ///M for a year until my ZHP came into my radar.... As much fun as I had daily driving my ///M I realized just how much I missed having a sedan in my stable and ended up purchasing my ZHP so all would be good in Charrie's BMW world again.....

As all of you know, I am crazy about both of my cars as my project threads show.... my passion for all things E46 BMW continue to grow and meeting like-minded people only makes my BMW ownership that much more special to me.

Looking back in retrospect.... the two BMWs I initially purchased (my 323i and ///M) I never did a PPI on them prior to purchasing. The 323i ended up having the rear subframe tear but BMW of Newport did the repairs under factory warranty before the class action lawsuit came out... this dealer did take good care of me for sure! Regarding the ///M... the same dealer (where I purchased my ///M from) researched the car's history for me free of charge before I signed the papers taking custody of the car. They verified and showed me that my ///M had a very good maintenance history as well as the rear subframe reinforcement. So all in all, I have been very lucky in the purchases of my first two BMWs. The ZHP however didn't come with adequate maintenance history even though it was owned by a BMW mechanic. At the time of purchase I was looking for a project car that I could restore in my good time and my ZHP fit the bill....it continues to be an evolutionary project as I continue to work it closer to ZHP perfection I have to admit that my two current rides get the look every day I drive them and I even get offers on my ZHP but I will never sell either of them. It's been a lot of fun modding both cars and I know that I will continue modding until the day I die... all I can say is that my daughter is one lucky girl....she will get everything when I leave this world... But that won't be for a long time if I can have anything to do about that
    Last edited by cakM3; 10-08-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Back in 2005 I was looking for an e46 within my $10,000 budget. I was lucky to find a 1999 323i locally (Chevrolet dealer) and went to check it out.

I remember the test drive: the salesman handed me the remote key. Since I was not familiar with the buttons, I opened the car using the key itself. Man, the driver's seat moved and adjusted by itself ! That was the best first impression ever.

At the end, I paid $9,700 out-the-door.

Great story Mike! And that Tiburon looked like a very nice car. My story isn't as dramatic.

Always liked the looks and the idea of BMW 2002s and such, and finally rode in a friends 4-cyl 320... my first BMW ride...and I hated it. It was dog (so slow) with NO features and at that time (80s), the Japanese cars were absolutely loaded with cool stuff. Fast forward to later models, and I rode in my 2nd BMW, this time a 5 series and loved it... it was like butter. So smooth and quick. So, then I always kept BMW in the back of my mind. I eventually bought a 94 535, but I wanted more. I had always subscribed to Car and Driver and lusted after the "3 series" after they continually raved about them. I specifically remember the article introducing the ZHP. So, X years later, needed a new car, wanting a vert, I checked prices and realized the BMWs were in my range. So in '09 I set out to find a the perfect BMW (looking for the ZHP) or a Porsche. The second I saw my black ZHP vert on the dealer lot CPO (no way I could afford those brand new), I was blown away at how beautiful it was. Plus it had everything I wanted. A great looking, performance oriented vert. They will have to pry this car from my cold dead hands.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I actually came to love the e46 is rather different way. I set out to purchase a fun toy car to take on my 1.5 hour long commute to this new job I got back in 2011. I was looking for a Porsche 944 in Guards Red, had to be 85.5+. Found a few in my price range, was all set to take an 88, cash in hand- seller couldn't find ANY paperwork that she promised she had. I dropped the price A LOT to account for that. No deal...

Burned and rather upset, I proposed the idea of a 'vert to my wife. She didn't really care, so I bought a 96 318 vert that weekend. I've always loved the e36 lines over the e46.

Had my first child, and the vert had to go. I really wanted to get into the e46 model. I looked at a few base models a long with a green 325. I was about the pull the trigger, when I found my Hellrot 328 for a rock bottom price. Purchased. PHEW I thought. Didn't care for that front end on the e46 anyway!

Well, as time went on, and I spent more time at the shop hanging around over e46's, and silver-grey ZHP rolled in and was put on the lift. This was about a year ago. I LOVED IT.
    I actually tried to buy it from the guy- but he said "nopenopenopenope"

That did it, the hunt was on for ZHP e46. The only e46 I've ever liked. I have to say, I'm a sedan guy (and 'vert). I love the ///M, but it needs two extra doors

I actually bought my Imola ZHP from NY. Made the deal over the phone with only seeing pictures. I actually saw it from a FS post that Shawn posted up.

So, my story is one of hate for the e46, but turned to loved of the ZHP. Also, I did finally get my 944, but a few years later. There was also a 540 in there too... Fun car, but too large for my taste.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

I've been daily driving a Miata for the last 4 years. For the past 3 years that has included a 105 mile round trip to school. The Miata is a great car, but it can also be rather cramped, especially when I'm 6'2''. So I have been saving for a daily driver for a while. I've been going to engineering school full time and working 30-35 hrs/week.

I have always liked the look of the E46's, but didn't realize the non-M cars have come down so much in price. I was originally looking at getting a Fiesta ST or a WRX. I happened to search autotrader for E46 M3's for fun, but then decided to look for non-M's. Came across a gorgeous and meticulously maintained ZHP and just had to get it.

I emailed the owner and someone had contacted him before me. I was all sad that the car was sold. I was dead set on getting this car, but it was gone! UNTIL....the next day I get an email saying that it was back up for sale and I was next in line! A few days later, the car was mine! :D

i have always loved BMWs but had driven hondas (integra type r, etc), a few VWs (i had a sweet sweet sweet '93 corrado VR6 that i never should have sold!), and a lot of audis over the last 20 years. always wanted a BMW throughout that period, and really, should have bought one by now. anyway. i remember seeing a picture somewhere of a ZHP sedan, maybe 6-7 years ago, and i LOVED it - everything about the design and execution jived with my car needs/wants (sedan being key).

anyway, FFWD to february and i was browsing the local online car classifieds and my black ZHP popped up - bad pics, lousy ad, no details - but from the bad pics i could kinda make out that it MIGHT be a ZHP - so i contacted the owner, got more pics, got the VIN (which confirmed it was ZHP), and a few days later, made a deal and drove it home... i had intended to fix the needed items and resell right away, but that 2hr drive home really clicked for me. and 6 weeks later i brought my imolarot sedan home. and a few months later, my audi was gone... and now the coupe is ready to sell.

i love my sedan. best car i've had.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast