Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Right. Flushing (process under pressure) is sometimes detrimental as compared to draining (gravity).
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Gotcha. Didn't realize flushing involved pressure. If anything, I thought pressure would be more effective, but now knowing that flushing involves pressure lets me see how that would be a problem with these auto's. Thanks guys.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Found this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    A power flush isn't a good idea as it can break loose crud in the transmission and plug up valves. A much better approach is a couple of drain/refills as they don't shock the system. You'll get about 2/3 of the fluid out on a drain where the pan is dropped, which should be done on at least the first drain/refill along with a filter change. So if you do a fluid & filter change and then do at least one more simple drain and refill after a few hundred miles you'll get almost all of the old fluid out.

It would be best to do a fluid change at about every 50k, but certainly by 100k. It is important to use the right fluid. Some BMW transmissions use Dexron and others use a special Esso fluid. Until recently the special Esso fluid had no substitutes, but Amsoil and Pentosin both have fluids now that can be substitued for the unobtanium (and pricey)
    Esso.

Changing the fluid isn't a super simple procedure, but then it isn't rocket science either. Because there's no dipstick you can only check the level with the car level on jackstands or a lift and the fluid between 30 & 50C by checking for a small stream of fluid from the fill plug with the car running and in park (and A/C on). The Bentley manual has the procedure.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    What exactly is the difference between an oil change and a flush? I thought they were pretty much one in the same?
    Sorry for the late reply, the pros beat me to it.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

alright so went to the dealership and they want 45$ for a liter of ATF2, and i read im gunna need like 10x that . so what have you guys done to get around this? ive been looking up and people have used mercon, Esso LT 71141, Redline D4 ATF etc. so which is the best for the buck. ill have to order the pan gasket and filter, so i guess i wont be driving for a good 2-3 weeeks..

guy at the dealership told me to just go my friends shop n just check if the fluid needs to be topped off cuz "its lifetime" hahaha but i dont think any fluid can last a life time.

I use Redline. It's done a good job.

No flame suit required!

thanks Dane, thanks for ur quick responses! i owe you! ordering this complete kit from ecs http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ion/ES2523867/

is there anything else you think would be causing this to happen the gears?! should i just order and install the intake camshaft position sensor too just in case?

Make sure you know what sticker you have on your tranny.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

okk ill get under and check. but guy at bmw wrote this on a piece of paper, ATF 2 A5s 325z, thats the zf tranny right?!

I'm running Valvoline Dexron 6 with the GM 390 steptronic. Works perfect.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast