Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

OS Giken Limited Slip Differential Failure - Why you shouldn't do business with OSG

This is yet another BMW Limited Slip Differential Failure by OS Giken, and OSG won't stand behind their product as they advertise! In fact, OS Giken failures are sprouting about all over the web. The failures are not only with the BMW based products.

My OS Giken BM235-HA Superlock LSD failed. The unit had less than 1,000 miles on it in total. It was always run with the OS Giken OS-250R OS011-KA1 Gear Fluid. My car is daily driven. It sees 95% commute duty, and 5% track use. It was occasionally "hooned", but thats besides the point.

The failure started on a Monday. The differential was making a slight clunking/popping sound (almost identical to clutch binding) on my way to work. By the time I made it to the office, the noise had increased significantly. Not only was it audibly louder, but the drive-train shock it produced was much more violent.

The following day (Tuesday), I noticed that the differential was acting as if it were welded or a spool was in the carrier in lieu of a LSD. The wheels were moving at the same speed. This created lots of wheel hop and parking lot chirping. Upon leaving for lunch, I pulled out of the office parking lot and began accelerating at a normal rate. The car suddenly stopped moving (though the rpm's continued to rise) and then suddenly I felt/heard a terrible explosion.

After having the car towed to a shop, removing the differential, and removing the differential case cover; We were greeted with this:

and after draining all of the fluid.....

OS Giken USA Headquarters in Torrance, CA was contacted immediately. Emails were exchanged. Long story short, after speaking with Sean, Jonathan, and Mike; I was told that OS Giken was aware that there was an engineering deficiency with this particular unit and that it has been removed from the market. There was no indication as to when a revised unit would be released (if there will even be one). Also, they would not answer my question as to what they've done in effort to contact those who have a known defective unit.

OS Giken stated that they couldn't replace the unit as they are known to be defective and would not process a refund. Instead, they offered 30% off on any future OSG products.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share this with anyone who was considering purchasing an OSG LSD. OSG claims to be the most reliable LSD on the market.... but this is obviously not the case. Spare yourself the headache and don't end up with a very costly paperweight. Take your business elsewhere, like Dan with Diffsonline! That's where my next diff is coming from.

Update: More photos of OS Giken failure from Minnoe07's thread at this post : http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...112#post390112

tags: os giken failure, lsd, e46, zhp, bm235-ha, osg
    Last edited by wertyu78; 10-10-2014 at 08:50 AM.

3 words: small claims court. Slam-dunk victory.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Damn dude that's nuts! A brand new diff failing in under 1000 miles is absurd.

I'm going to go ahead and guess they are going to face a serious lawsuit from this if they don't make it right with the customers that purchased these diffs.

Thanks for giving everyone here a heads up, I hope everything works out for you OP. Do you still have your stock open diff?
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I'm driving on a stock 3.07 open diff now. It's also the diff I've been driving most of the year with (LSD had been sitting around a lot) 3.07 - better for those long trips I took

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry to hear that! Do you know if this "engineering deficiency" is on other LSD's that they produce or just the one for the e46? I'm looking at LSD's for my 335.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    Sorry to hear that! Do you know if this "engineering deficiency" is on other LSD's that they produce or just the one for the e46? I'm looking at LSD's for my 335.
    From my understanding (from both OSG and several credible sources), the issue effects several OSG models. It has something to do with the size and strength of the gears inside the unit itself.

Sent from my iPhone

That's a load of crap, right there. Sue them.
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
    From my understanding (from both OSG and several credible sources), the issue effects several OSG models. It has something to do with the size and strength of the gears inside the unit itself.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    That's a load of crap, right there. Sue them.
    +1
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Wow really. And I sell this product. Maybe I should hold on it.

Well I guess maybe I shouldn't consider biting the bullet and doing diff fluid changes every 3 months by getting an OSG unit. Thanks for the heads up.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast