Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    So, hypothetically, let's say I wanna do donuts in the parking lot.

Would it do it? (hypothetically)
    Lol it most certainly would. Before I put the new tires on I pretty much shredded the old ones on a pad learning how deep it would drift and how well it does donuts.... Very well I found out lol. But once again balance is everything. Overload one wheel too much and it'll try to snap you back in line .
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Wow. Its over $3000 on their website. Expensive upgrade. The OP is lucky his car came with this.
    I was blessed in many ways with this car when I bought it. The previous and only other owner babied it and it was his garage toy. Then he had another kid and had to get rid of it. But he's getting an M5 now lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    yeah, it is expensive - $2700 when you subtract the core charge. the 2-clutch is $1900, and i notice on their website that they now have a 'diffsonline helical' which sits in the middle at $2300. hmmm.

peter
    Like I said, do your research . I am all for finding an alternative to direct other members to as the price on this diff is a hefty one. I will say the PO and I have put this thing through it's paces and it still does it's job with no complaints.

Other members with other diff's and experience please feel free to chime in and give your opinions. A review is nothing without good comparisons and alternatives brought by the readers.

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to write this excellent review! From it I've learned that I do not like the sound of the Helical LSD...I think I would prefer the standard clutch pack setup. I like the static lock and the price comparison is definitely a kicker.
    Last edited by NoVAphotog; 04-29-2015 at 07:23 AM.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Thanks for the detailed review.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to write this excellent review! From it I've learned that I do not like the sound of the Helical LSD...I think I would prefer the standard clutch pack setup. I like the static lock and the price comparison is definitely a kicker.
    You're very welcome and thanks for taking the time to read it :D. I'm happy you could use it to help make a decision on your diff selection. And I agree, for pure performance and price, the clutch is superior all around and makes for a great addition . When I first looked up the prices for the Quaife diffs I had to rub my eyes a few times to make sure I was seeing what my brain told me I was lol. Either way, I'm extremely happy that you were able to glean from this to help with your decision .

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Thanks for the detailed review.
    Very welcome and thanks for reading ^_^!!

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    Ben,

yeah, the price is a big one. but the fact that the helical acts like an open diff on decel is important to me - it will make corner entry a lot more neutral (like a stock car). it's my understanding that a clutch-type LSD will actually try to prohibit the car from turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    You're very welcome and thanks for taking the time to read it :D. I'm happy you could use it to help make a decision on your diff selection. And I agree, for pure performance and price, the clutch is superior all around and makes for a great addition . When I first looked up the prices for the Quaife diffs I had to rub my eyes a few times to make sure I was seeing what my brain told me I was lol. Either way, I'm extremely happy that you were able to glean from this to help with your decision .
    i guess the question is - if you had to buy one, which would you get?

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

yeah, the price is a big one. but the fact that the helical acts like an open diff on decel is important to me - it will make corner entry a lot more neutral (like a stock car). it's my understanding that a clutch-type LSD will actually try to prohibit the car from turning.
    Hmm...I don't know enough about them to answer that. I think it comes down to the ramp angle on decel and being able to adjust that is big money on the clutch type side of things.

@cakM3, you have a 3.46 2(?) or 3(?) clutch-type 45/45 ramp angle Limited Slip Differential from Diffsonline in your ZHP correct?

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

i guess the question is - if you had to buy one, which would you get?

peter
    THAT is a good question lol. When I was building 3000gt's we went with a Quaife setup because of the reliability over time and the ability to put disturbing amounts of HP through it without worrying. However we also had a dealer who would get us reeeeally good prices on the Quaife diffs lol. So I have some experience with the product there as well, just not directly with Quaife as a company.

That said, I like the pricing on the clutch diffs and the pure car control they offer. My Mustang had a clutch diff and I loved it. The control I had was pure bliss.

So.... Hmm... Price now vs long run and maintenance considered? I'd probably go Quaife / Helical again. I like the reliability and I'm very much a "Fire and forget" person when it comes to my cars. Meaning I'll tend to take a part I don't have to replace for a long period of time and lose some performance over something I may have to rebuild / replace in a shorter time in comparison. That and I just downright like the way the Helical feels lol. Left foot braking solves most of the open diff instances you'd get and I don't get to the track very often, so for my purposes, the Quaife suits me.

-Ben

THAT is a good question lol. When I was building 3000gt's we went with a Quaife setup because of the reliability over time and the ability to put disturbing amounts of HP through it without worrying. However we also had a dealer who would get us reeeeally good prices on the Quaife diffs lol. So I have some experience with the product there as well, just not directly with Quaife as a company.

That said, I like the pricing on the clutch diffs and the pure car control they offer. My Mustang had a clutch diff and I loved it. The control I had was pure bliss.

So.... Hmm... Price now vs long run and maintenance considered? I'd probably go Quaife / Helical again. I like the reliability and I'm very much a "Fire and forget" person when it comes to my cars. Meaning I'll tend to take a part I don't have to replace for a long period of time and lose some performance over something I may have to rebuild / replace in a shorter time in comparison. That and I just downright like the way the Helical feels lol. Left foot braking solves most of the open diff instances you'd get and I don't get to the track very often, so for my purposes, the Quaife suits me.
    makes good sense. the 'fit and forget' thing is a wonderful thing. i likely will go quaife for that reason as well, and your 90K mile testimony helps that for sure.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I happen to be visiting Japan for the first time and while I've seen hordes of teenagers and young adults on the streets and trains (most buried in either conversation with friends or in their cell phone screens), I haven't seen any Fast and Furuious drifting action. I must be hanging out in the wrong parts of Tokyo, or at the wrong times.

I do want to learn to drift and believe my new/old E36 M3 has a 2-disc clutch LSD. another E36 autoxer I've met told me it's not hard to upgrade them to a 3-clutch, so maybe they will show me how. But first I have to get it to the track and see what it can do.

But thanks for a very nice review!

What about performance....*drifting*: Okay let's get this out of the way. If you want to drift every curve deeper than a Japanese anime teenager.. You want a different rear diff or just a different car. Better yet do it right and get yourself in to a rally school. Most of your track day drift toys use a clutch diff.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    I happen to be visiting Japan for the first time and while I've seen hordes of teenagers and young adults on the streets and trains (most buried in either conversation with friends or in their cell phone screens), I haven't seen any Fast and Furuious drifting action. I must be hanging out in the wrong parts of Tokyo, or at the wrong times.

I do want to learn to drift and believe my new/old E36 M3 has a 2-disc clutch LSD. another E36 autoxer I've met told me it's not hard to upgrade them to a 3-clutch, so maybe they will show me how. But first I have to get it to the track and see what it can do.

But thanks for a very nice review!
    My better half to be happens to originally be from Tokyo and I was actually talking with her on the subject of racing over there. Street racing has become less and less popular over there after reaching it's peak in the late 80's and early 90's. You still have your various bits of it left but with almost all of the old guard like the Mid Night Racing Club gone, there isn't as much of an accessible street scene as there used to be. Most of it is at track days now. That... And the FnF series kinda went from almost realistic to straight up street racer's wet dream fiction after the first movie lol. Still fun to watch though.

The sheer cost of maintaining and paying the taxes on an older performance car in Japan , or any car for that matter, is turning much of the younger crowd away. There are still races from what I hear but they even have speed cams in the toge now and the wangan is hardly the speed playground it used to be. In a country where it's small enough for many roads to be regulated electronically and watched and where the cost of simply owning a car is increasing, time has simply caught up to the petrol crowd. Kinda sad really.

And I'm glad you enjoyed the review . Godspeed on your ///M endeavor

-Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast