Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blown tires!

I've never blown a tire (except two really worn tires that were cording) but I cracked two of my ZHP rims. I agree 32psi is too low, especially with 18" rims. I try to run my fronts at minimum 34psi and usually aim for cold pressures of 36F, 38R. It rides harsher than 32 or 34psi but protects my rims. With 17" rims I normally aim for 34psi cold.

Quote Originally Posted by tkundhi View Post
    Tony, IMO front tire pressures are too low. 36 to 38 would be recommended. More pressure will help to a point. You don't want to ride on just the center of the tread so don't go wild and put in 40 psi. Also keep in mind that temp changes effect pressure. If you set the pressure in the summer and it is now 40-50 degree colder the pressure will be down. Also this time of year it is not unusually for some parts of the country to have swings of 30 degrees from mid day to evening or early morning to mid day. In such conditions 32 psi at high temp could be mid to high 20s during the coldest times. That is way too low. If your area is prone to such swings it may be wise to use nitrogen instead of regular air.

t.

Gents,

All of this info is extremely helpful. I love this car, but I don't have the deeper tech knowledge that many have. I had no idea what kinds of tires had softer sidewalls, for example, (apart from run-flats, which I had on the E90 and hated) and the mystery is clearing a bit: I've been running the ContiContacts, and I guess they're maybe unusually vulnerable to the Gotham-style Revere potholes. So:

I think I'll try either the suggested heavier-duty summer tires, or just go with the all-seasons. There's a performance sacrifice, I think, and if I lived in SoCal or FL I might get away with the softer tires, but not here.

Great info on suspension options and tire pressures, too.

I bought this car two years ago with 60+ K on it, Imola red coupe, and it's my far the most fun I've ever had driving. I'll drive this thing untio it won't drive no mo'.

Thanks again!

Blown tires!

Quote Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
    All season tires have stiffer tires than summer tires (as do run-flats, which have extremely stiff sidewalls)... That's why I suggest the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

For summer tires, generally Contis have soft sidewalls, Bridgestones have stiff ones, and Michelins are pretty sift too.
    Are you sure about this? I've heard that performance tire have stiffer sidewalks than all seasons. An all season is a compromise tire.

Within the performance (summer) tires I have no data on if one brand is stiffer than the other. The reality is an 35 aspect ratio tire will have a stiffer sidewall than the same brand tire with a higher aspect ratio. Going from 18 inch wheels to 17 inch wheel will require an increase to the aspect ratio. More sidewall. That is the key. Along with proper tire pressures.

A stiffer sidewall means less compliance. Better turn in. More responsiveness. All while sacrificing ride quality to some degree.

Talk to a tire expert to determine actual difference in sidewall stiffness. Tire Rack may have this data. Call and ask.

t.
    Last edited by tkundhi; 10-21-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Blown tires!

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by tkundhi View Post
    Are you sure about this? I've heard that performance tire have stiffer sidewalks than all seasons. An all season is a compromise tire.
    All seasons are in general a compromise on compound and tread pattern, but it's a toss up on sidewall strength and can go in either style's favor depending on construction of the specific tires being compared

OP, get some 17s.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123