Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    In late 2005, I was earning piles of money and realized that a new E46 M3 was well within my reach. But when I started shopping them and quickly realized that I was looking at northward of $60k for one with a few essential options, I balked. The E90 sedan had just come out, so I looked into it and decided it was a much more economical way to get into a nice BMW, and factory-ordered one equipped exactly as I wanted. What I did NOT know at the time was the existence of the ZHP coupe, which was still available for almost another full year. Not sure I would have gone that route as the brand new-ness of the E90 was enticing (the new Logic7 sound system was orders of magnitude better than the crappy H/K setup in the E46, for example), but I'm guessing that I would have. I've always been coupe-hatchback guy, with exactly 2 of my 25 or so cars owned in my lifetime having more than 2 doors (and exactly none at this point having an automatic transmission, a streak I will continue to keep intact).

2 years ago I came full circle and fell for the ZHP, and was able to find the perfect example within a month of starting my search. It wasn't cheap, and I had to schlep it across the country from Florida, but it has been well worth it. With another S54-equipped car already in the garage, it's the perfect daily driver companion - no need for an M3 in my case, the ZHP is perfection for my needs.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

There have always been more 3 series sedans than coupes/convertibles. This is not any different than 3 series' in the past. People tend to shy away from the higher pricing of the coupes and convertibles and end up buying the sedan instead. Plus, most people who buy a basic 3 series get the sedan because it's cheaper and has more doors, which is more practical.

Those that have performance models get sedan/coupe/convertible based on preference and not as much price. With the ZHP, the ratios probably aren't any different than regular 3 series purchases. There are probably more sedans because they're more practical, and people that spend this kind of money on a car want one that does more to get more for their money as well as have the same performance of their 2 door counterparts.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Sedans are more practical only for those who NEED that practicality.
    As we have no kids (never will) and to me personally almost all coupes in general look better/sportier, (This is a personal opinion), and would like my car to have a more personal, and less people-hauling feeling, in my case the COUPE is more practical to ME. (because it doesn't have what I try to avoid, and does have what I want). If we do need to carry people we still CAN, with some hindrances. AND we do have my wife's Mazda6 which is 4-door.
    To me, coupes just have a built-in more exclusive/personal/driver's car feeling that sedans will never have. (again, this is subjective). If coupes are built less often, hey that's great - i'd rather drive something that's less common.

So I think it's important that we clarify that "practicality" is very specific and cannot be used as a general advantage just because a car has 4 doors.
    For some, the OPPOSITE is practical because they want to AVOID 4 doors. just my H.O.

...Oh and i LOVE the pass through ski-bag, which I have used in more occasions that I ever thought I would.
    I also like the fact that (I think) ZHP coupes came with clear corners from factory. (at least in some years?) and that non- 330Ci coupes always had the Sport Package as standard ...

(I think it was/is like this with even OTHER brands. Coupes are always better equipped or have better cosmetic pieces thats sedan owners normally lust after. An example is the last gen. Acura Legend coupe vs sedan. Coupe looked loads better and had better lights/corner lights and sedan owners that I know ALWAYS got those changed for the coupe corners or turn signals, etc.
    That's probably why the coupes are almost always more expensive.)

SO, idk - no love for coupes? mine gets a LOT of it, for sure
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Looks like it'll be tomorrow before I an get the PPI done. I'm doing this at arms length at this point in negotiations and relying on others to get the car to the mechanic... car is in another state.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping they don't find too many problems, of course.

I know already the control arm bushings are shot. The guy at the lot claims he can get just the bushings changed out (not the whole CA's) for $200, which is contrary to everything I think I know about it (had new CA's installed on my vert last year). Anyway, he said he'd either get it done or knock that amount off. So, we're down to $6,300 now. I don't think I'll be able to talk him into covering new CA's, so the difference would be out-of-pocket. I think I know the answer already, but here goes anyway... Anyone had bushing replaced without changing out the control arms?

I think I'm almost more excited about the prospect of getting the kid a ZHP than I was when getting mine. Probably because I thought it would be out-of-reach for him, while I knew going into mine I was willing to pay near top-dollar to get exactly what I wanted. Only problem is, he'll be driving a year newer than mine... I mistakenly said 04 above (as is my vert), but it's actually an 05 coupe we're looking at for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird-Dog View Post
    Still, the question remains, are current ZHP coupe resale values typically expected to be lower than sedans and convertibles?
    No, coupes of the same model are almost always higher priced than sedans.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

I prefer the sedans over the coupes/verts. Personally if I had a coupe, the itch for an M3 would always be there. With the sedan, its not there since it was not offered.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    it's because the coupes cost slightly more than the sedans when it was available. plus sedan is more practical. I don't think the zhp is supposed to be the m3-lite lol i'm pretty sure we got that cause all the other countries got special versions of the 330 and we didn't.
    BMW said it themselves. They wanted a higher performance sedan and to extend the life of the E46 platform. Thus was born the ZHP. So yes, M3-lite in a sedan version.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by Bird-Dog View Post
    I don't think I'll be able to talk him into covering new CA's, so the difference would be out-of-pocket. I think I know the answer already, but here goes anyway... Anyone had bushing replaced without changing out the control arms?
    Absolutely. Control Arm Bushings can be replaced independently of the control arms. In fact, they're designed like that on purpose.
    I think it's ball joints you're thinking of, which cannot be replaced independently, and require a full control arm.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Absolutely. Control Arm Bushings can be replaced independently of the control arms. In fact, they're designed like that on purpose.
    I think it's ball joints you're thinking of, which cannot be replaced independently, and require a full control arm.
    Gotcha. Thanks!

I have a feeling the ball joints are what he meant.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast