Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some input

Need some input

I just installed a set of strut tower reinforcement plates; needless to say the strut towers were not completely flat... No problem hammered them back into flatness using a 2x4 and 3 pound hammer and used the reinforcement places as templates. Overall it feels much better and I can rest assured that no further damage will be done. I also discovered the heat shields that rest above the exhaust manifold are loose and rattle.... Finally found where its coming from!
    Now unto my question

Would wore out control arms cause camber alignment issues?
    Last edited by VA//M3; 02-28-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Control arms shouldn't affect camber angle. Are you having a hard time getting it back to spec?

Yes, The pin has been drilled out of the strut hats and moved away from the car and it still reads -1.98 without the reinforcements in place. I don't want to pay for another alignment just to find out it won't budge past -1.98 towards the positive side. It still looks like it has at least -1.58

Has the car been lowered?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Worthington View Post
    Has the car been lowered?
    No, it has the sport package and completely OEM.

That may be as close as they can get it. When you take chassis flex into account, tie rod, controll arms....all that stuff...that may just be as good as they're gonna do. That's close to the spec.

My alignment below...

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    That may be as close as they can get it. When you take chassis flex into account, tie rod, controll arms....all that stuff...that may just be as good as they're gonna do. That's close to the spec.

My alignment below...

Then I don't understand why my car steers itself to the left when I let go of the steering wheel and why the steering wheel jerks to the left when going over certain bumps on the road.

How old are your tires?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Not very... The passenger side that has never been aligned to spec has wore down the inside of the tire along with wearing the trailing edge faster then the leading edge. When I hold the tire at 10 and 3 o'clock and wiggle it I can hear high pitched clunk. To me it sounds like its coming from the inner tie rod end. How common is that to happen on e46's? Another thing, If i turn my steeringwheel all the way to either side until i hit the steering lock and move the car I can hear the clunk coming from the passenger side.

So...your tires are not that old......and how far out was your alignment when they started? The only reason I ask....is it sounds like your car is tramlining to me. Your tires may have worn to the point where the best alignemnt in the world won't recover them. IDK bro. Keep feeding me with data....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast