Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Steering Wheel Jerk Under Braking

So I have just replaced the tie rods, control arms, and bushings in the front end and I also replaced the two front brake calipers due to the right side being sticky.

This issue has become intermittent. Sometimes, when braking quickly, I get a quick bump in the steering wheel. The wheel will slightly jerk to the left or right. I also noticed a little wobbly sensation in the steering wheel for a very short moment doing around 35mph not under any braking.

I feel like this must have something to do with the brakes. I replaced both front calipers and bleed the entire system a few weeks ago and I have noticed these symptoms the past week.

- Warped rotor on the side where I had the sticky caliper?
    - Air in the line?
    - One caliper grabbing before the other?

Thoughts?

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by mLuMaN83 View Post
    So I have just replaced the tie rods, control arms, and bushings in the front end and I also replaced the two front brake calipers due to the right side being sticky.

This issue has become intermittent. Sometimes, when braking quickly, I get a quick bump in the steering wheel. The wheel will slightly jerk to the left or right. I also noticed a little wobbly sensation in the steering wheel for a very short moment doing around 35mph not under any braking.

I feel like this must have something to do with the brakes. I replaced both front calipers and bleed the entire system a few weeks ago and I have noticed these symptoms the past week.

- Warped rotor on the side where I had the sticky caliper?
    - Air in the line?
    - One caliper grabbing before the other?

Thoughts?
    Could be a warped rotor. It could be your steering guibo. It could be uneven road surfaces where you are braking.

Its not air in the lines.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I don't think it's the roads. It is new and feels like a mechanical fault. It's odd because it seems to have started after doing the brakes. It may have still been there and didn't notice it due to the wore out front end parts. Maybe I feel it more now that the front end is firmed up.

Guibo... I'll look into that.

18x8 CSL Wheels / Trunk Lip Spoiler / Painted rear bumper trim / Painted reflectors / Clear corners / Black headlight trim / USA Spec / LED tails / 25% tint
    LED license plate lights / Rockord Fosgate upgraded speakers / Kicker Hideaway 8" subwoofer

Double check if your lugnuts are tight. It could be a wobble too? Just a thought.

Yeah I thought about that while I was driving home today, I doubt it, but I will check tomorrow. I put the moves on those things with the lug wrench lol.

It's gotta be either that sticky caliper warped the rotor or the guibo. Those sound like the best places to start, but who knows, maybe something is loose in the suspension stuff I had replaced.

Another thing to note is that in the morning sometimes when the car is cold and has been sitting, I can feel a bumping sensation that changes with speed. It's most noticeable in first and second gear at low speeds. After a little driving, I don't feel it anymore. This could be related...

That sounds like temporary flatspotting on the tires. I once had tires that did that, but don't remember which ones they were (maybe Bridgestone Potenza RE-760?). If that's the case, can either live with it or try higher air pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by mLuMaN83 View Post
    Another thing to note is that in the morning sometimes when the car is cold and has been sitting, I can feel a bumping sensation that changes with speed. It's most noticeable in first and second gear at low speeds. After a little driving, I don't feel it anymore. This could be related...

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    That sounds like temporary flatspotting on the tires. I once had tires that did that, but don't remember which ones they were (maybe Bridgestone Potenza RE-760?). If that's the case, can either live with it or try higher air pressures.
    I only feel it while in gear rolling without deceleration or execration. I don't feel it while rolling in neutral. Forgot to mention that.

Brake deposits on the rotor may affect this. I have a similar issue sometimes when I wash the car and don't drive it and the water seeps in between the rotor and pad to make an imprint.

Mike, I think you need to drive a track or performance car to get a feel for what hardcore road connection feels like. I drove my friend's M3 and I gotta tell you, you need to focus when you drive that car. Everything is fine, but it's constantly jerking as a result of road conditions.

Now, far as what's wrong with your car, I doubt it's your steering guibo. The jerk is coming from your wheels, and even if it was new, you'd still feel it, it'd just be less sudden because there would be no delay in the jerk. How's your alignment?
    In the market for an E90 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
    Mike, I think you need to drive a track or performance car to get a feel for what hardcore road connection feels like. I drove my friend's M3 and I gotta tell you, you need to focus when you drive that car. Everything is fine, but it's constantly jerking as a result of road conditions.

Now, far as what's wrong with your car, I doubt it's your steering guibo. The jerk is coming from your wheels, and even if it was new, you'd still feel it, it'd just be less sudden because there would be no delay in the jerk. How's your alignment?
    It's more as if there is play somewhere or something is loose, thats what it feels like. All I know is that I had the front end stuff done and right after that, replaced the front calipers and bleed the system. I have not had a chance to get an alignment done yet.

Here's a video...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast