Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Front End Crunching Noise

Hey guys-

So I recently replaced my Bilstein Sports and H&R lowering springs with Koni FSDs and Stock springs. Ever since I did the replacement I have been getting a noise front the front end that sounds like crunching, or kind of like a coffee machine when its boiling the water. It happens only at low speeds when coming to a stop or turning the wheels. Sounds awful.

The PO put the Bilstein's on not more than 20K miles ago and added a turner sway bar and I'm assuming replaced the links and bushings (they have no play and look practically new-although I haven't checked out the front bushings as they are covered up). When I installed the end links with the new Konis I had both front wheels off the ground. This is where I think I might have gone wrong- as I believe one wheel has to be loaded while installing the other side.

Before I go replacing the sway bar links and bushings I wanted to see if there was something simple I did wrong-with preloading and such. Any other suspension items that might cause this sound?

Hmmm
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Had similar noise but was bad bushings in my camber plates
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

One side does not need to be loaded afaik.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Dane, is correct, no need to load one side when installing swaybar end links. If you have adjustable end links, you want to do final adjustment with both sides loaded to eliminate preload, but that doesn't apply to standard fixed-length end links.

My best guess is either a missing spring pad (each strut should have two spring pads, upper and lower) or a problem with the strut mount. The strut mount/hat could have gotten sand or dirt into the bearing, bearing wore out, or some washer was missing or not installed correctly when assembling the strut and spring. Any of those could cause funny noises when turning the steering. Less likely is swaybar links were installed incorrectly (or struts were put on wrong sides) and link is rubbing on something. Another possibility is ball joints in swaybar links have failed.

One way to troubleshoot is support front end safely on jack stands, lie with head under one front wheel then the other and have friend turn the steering lock to lock and back. Listen for the noise and look for any parts rubbing. Then remove the dust caps on the strut hats and look inside at the bearing on each side to make sure it's turning smoothly. It's not 100% because the struts aren't compressed/loaded, but has a good chance of showing you the problem.

Thanks Costco, I will run through the troubleshooting this weekend and report back.

I just installed new shock mounts and paid extra attention to making sure all washers were included. I do know one of the lower rubber spring mount on the right side kind of rode up and now the spring is slightly making metal contact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Dave in WI, USA -
    '05 330i ZHP 6MT IMOLAROT
    /LEDERSCHWARZ

ALSO CURRENT: '13 X5M Monte Carlo Blue
    PAST: '16 340i 6MT | '13 328i AT | '05 330i ZHP 6MT Mystic Blue | '06 330ci ZHP 6MT Imola Red
    HERS: '19 X3 xDrive40i Blue

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    My best guess is either a missing spring pad (each strut should have two spring pads, upper and lower) or a problem with the strut mount.
    This. I think I have the same issue as of a few days ago. Though mine is a squeaking noise at low speed in the driveway or while parking. Colin had the same issue. Top hats and spring pads fixed it.

Colin's only did it under load (not jacked up). I have read some ppl have luck by applying lithium grease to the bearings in the mount (at least temporarily).