Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    EONON GM5150 review:

Ive had this installed in my car for about a week now. Heres my evaluation of it up to this point broken down into a few different sections:

Aesthetics: totally on point. LED color matches near perfect and the fit and finish (pictured below) is great. The unit itself fits flush with the trim and dash so I have zero gripes other than the following: if you look at the pictures below, the NAV button is flawed. I didn't actually notice it until today but the lettering is not centered up. While not the biggest problem in the world, still slightly annoying.

Functionality: The touch screen itself is very responsive and works well. When pressing the buttons, they feel "firm" and not terribly cheap (a feeling I truly hate, I'd compare this to having a solid "heavy" sounding door closing on a vehicle). Broken down further:

IPOD: I had the cable mounted in the glove box along with the USBs for the time being. The last picture listed below is where my HUGE issue is with this HU and UI. When you select "Artists" it will show your list of artists on your IPOD. From there, if you select an artist/band that has multiple albums, it DOES NOT go to a new screen where it lists the separate albums. It just lists every song (albeit, in album order) without a breakdown/further organization. This aggravates me because if I just want to listen to a specific album and put it on loop I can't do that. Also, when in the settings and selecting "last mode" to have the HU boot to when you were previously in the vehicle, the IPOD function doesn't work well. When coming out to/getting in your car after previously listening to your IPOD, the HU will boot and begin playing music from where you left off at, but if you choose a different song via the screen/touch it won't select the song you choose, instead it will randomly skip around. In order to fix this, I have to select a totally different artist and song then go BACK to that artist and select a song in order for it to respond to my touch requests correctly. I don't know if this is something setting wise I am messing up but also aggravating.

NAVI: WOLF put a 16gig SD card in the mail for me yesterday with the NAVI software on it. I can't personally attest to or critique this aspect of the UI at this time, so I will edit and report back on this when I can.

UPDATE: got the SD card from WOLF and loaded it up in no time. Very clean UI for the NAVI and once it boots up for the first time it works smooth. overall not bad at all, zero complaints in this area.

BLUETOOTH: works like a charm. I called my mother and she heard me clear as day using the external mic on the unit itself. In the picture below, you can see I had the external remote/wired mic mounted right next to the base for the rear view mirror, great spot personally. If you mount here, the wire is too short to connect to the unit, you'll need to go to your local electronics store and get a normal male/female audio cord (like your headphones) to extend and ultimately connect it to the unit. I had my buddy run the external mic just in case I decide to use it at some point.

DVD: I was very surprised by the picture quality of a $400 HU. I popped in JarHead and ended up sitting my car to finish an entire scene vs. just watching 10-15 seconds. I think its rather crisp. The DVD load/boot time takes a short clip of time but overall its not bad at all. The remote works rather well (even though I loathe the aesthetics that that remote, it looks terrible haha).

It would be nice if the equalizer/tune-ability of the unit was a little bit more in depth, but I can live with what it does currently. I also wish you could dim the LEDs on the unit itself, I like the interior lighting to be on the darker side. And for the life of me, I cannot get the damn time to turn off/not display since it doesn't keep accurate time. I've selected the option to remove it from the display in the settings multiple times and it still shows up.

Overall, I would give the unit itself an 7.5 out of 10. Aesthetics are great and it looks like it came in there from the dealer brand new. The IPOD issues, lack of LED brightness adjustability, and the NAVI button finish flaw where the major sticking points. The unit itself was packaged rather nicely and was pleased at that, especially since its coming from waaaaay overseas. Id recommend the unit, but I think I'll be switching to the Parrot Apple CarPlay unit when it (supposedly) releases later this year. Hopefully I can get my hands on it and take it for a test run before actually purchasing one (pending I like it more). I would recommend this unit to guys looking for the best bang for your buck HU option that "does it all" because frankly, this does. Not a bad way to spend $400-450 at all.

This is how I feel now riding in the car with being able to access proper tuneage:

DSC_0638 by BADCLOWN, on Flickr
    DSC_0637 by BADCLOWN, on Flickr
    DSC_0639 by BADCLOWN, on Flickr
    DSC_0640 by BADCLOWN, on Flickr
    DSC_0641 by BADCLOWN, on Flickr
    DSC_0642 by BADCLOWN, on Flickr

All that being said, I had four small dings removed from the body (2 hood, 1 pass front door, 1 driver rear quarter behind door) today via PDR and gave her a solid wash and trim detail on the outside. She looks good and it'll make me much happier when its warmer and I can wash the damn thing on a regular basis. Now its on to hopefully some suspension modifications.
    Last edited by BADCLOWN; 01-28-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Great review. Can you comment on bluetooth streaming on this unit? I stream most of the time in my other cars and miss not having that ability right now with the factory nav unit.

2004 ZHP Sedan | Jet Black : Natural Brown : 6MT : OEM Navi : TRS Xenon retrofit : Khoalty Angel Eyes : Homelink retrofit : BMW Performance Intake|SSK : BC Coilovers : Z4M FCABs and RTABs : StopTech Cross-Drilled Rotors : Motorsport Hardware Stud Kit and 12mm Spacers : Kinesis K28

2004 B6 A4 Ultrasport Arctic White : Black : 1.8T : Quattro : 6MT

I was actually going to mess with that this afternoon, I'll report back on that later today.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Quote Originally Posted by BADCLOWN View Post
    EONON GM5150 review:

This is how I feel now riding in the car with being able to access proper tuneage:

All that being said, I had four small dings removed from the body (2 hood, 1 pass front door, 1 driver rear quarter behind door) today via PDR and gave her a solid wash and trim detail on the outside. She looks good and it'll make me much happier when its warmer and I can wash the damn thing on a regular basis. Now its on to hopefully some suspension modifications.
    LMAO. Good review.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

The bluetooth music works flawlessly as well after messing with it today.

Good Review!

I really miss my GM5150.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

no picture updates as of yet but i updated my OP with a "list of parts awaiting install" and "yet to purchase"

probably going to do this in stages:

1. suspension refresh/upgrade
    2. CH refresh/tires
    3. exterior lighting refresh and install
    4. audio install (including dynamat/fatmat to all 4 doors)

turn the style 135s into winter wheels, have them refinished this year sometime and powder coated black with some new tires.

idk what the time table is for all of this but it will come along at a somewhat slow rate.

i purchased my brothers white toyota 4 runner which i will take possession of this friday and take the ZHP out of daily duties FINALLY. car is due for an oil change here coming up in maybe the next month, will have that and the DISA done then and after that its on to hopefully start slapping some parts on.

Any pics of the BBS Wheels? Didn't know you got a set.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

good stuff
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast