Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZHP x 2

ZHP x 2

Several years back, I was looking to switch brands for my automotive pleasures. I had been having so much fun with Miatas, yet decided for practicality reasons to change it up. RWD still, but with a back seat big enough to hole a couple toddlers just in case. Familiar with the BMW brand (E30 325 vert, E36 328is, E39 Touring in my past). I had not left the brand impressed with the 328is. Then one day I saw a kind of stocking looking E46. It had such a great stance and styling it seemed to be a step up from others, sans M3s. After some research, I determined it was a ZHP and so the hunt began. After 10 months of searching and missed opportunities, I pulled the trigger on a 2004 Silberblau sedan. Crap if this has not been my favorite car ever! Note that I have had well over 30. Throughout the years, I have invested ~$8000 in maintenance, as an enthusiast would, and loved every minute of driving it. As gorgeous as the car is, grey was not my first choice. And.. I would liked to have had a manual.

Fast forward nearly a decade, when I was swiftly moving down the hwy 5 in central California, thinking to myself, I.. just.. still.. love this car. Then I thought what could be better? 2 months later I found the answer. Have 2. Two weeks ago, I made a trip to the SF Bay area and bought a Mystic Blue manual coupe. I drove my 17 year old son and his buddy up in my sedan then let them take turns driving it back south to home while I drove the coupe. Not sure who enjoyed the trip home more... Certainly a win-win.

Pleasantly surprised, my wife's reaction was.. "hey honey after you've shined it up a little I would drive it... that's really a pretty blue".
    I suspect that my butt won't be the only one in the driver's seat..

And so now, I will document my journey of bringing a neglected gem back to shape.

Oil filter reservoir / pan gaskets and FCABs to start.

Pics to come..

Nice, looking forward to pics especially since it's a similar spec to mine!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

02 sensor day... A double shot of upstream 02 sensors for all. Now say ahhh ..
    Name:  IMG_3560.JPG
Views: 688
Size:  65.0 KB

Hoping to eliminate the need for an oil drip pan. Fix #1, certainly within my capabilities below.

Name:  ZHPCoupe_OFHG.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  947.1 KB

Nicely done, if i am not mistaken, we have to change the OFHG every 70k miles or so.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

That looks to be an original expansion tank based on the sticker.

Great job on the ofhg...

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Nicely done, if i am not mistaken, we have to change the OFHG every 70k miles or so.
    Yes.. and then there are the proximal items that you might as well replace while you're in there. ex. VANOS oil line..

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    That looks to be an original expansion tank based on the sticker.

Great job on the ofhg...
    Vas - Spot on.. Oh how we know our cars.. I have a new Genuine BMW tank waiting to be installed next.

And as many have mentioned, can't say enough good things about the etiquette on this forum.

New OFH gasket, proximal sensors, Vanos oil line, and new expansion talk installed and reassembly completed. DONE!

While it was on stands, I replaced the FCABs. Pittsburg 3 prong puller served its purpose of removing the bushings, while Dawn liquid soap was the key to a smooth installation.

Question: Has anyone bought new solid rubber bushings and had them pressed in an old pair of brackets? Are the Z4M bushings solid rubber?

Name:  IMG_3586.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  1.68 MB

Z4m are still fluid filled but they are offset to provide more caster. Great upgrade over the factory units.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Today its a new cowl cover!

Name:  IMG_3585.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  1.76 MB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast