Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What are these lugnuts?

I just bought the car. It has 12mm spacers (which I'll probably remove). What brand are these and do I need a special tool? What's the hex for?

Thanks from a newbie.

It looks like your car has been converted to wheel studs and using wheel lugnuts. The hex portion is to install the wheel studs into the hub. BMW came factory with wheel bolts not studs/lugnut combo.

Thanks! I guess that was done because of the spacers. Is that good, bad, or indifferent?

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    Thanks! I guess that was done because of the spacers. Is that good, bad, or indifferent?
    I personally think it is better due to convenience of not needing to line up the holes. If you try various spacers all the time, there is no need for extended bolts. As long as the studs are long enough, you will be fine.

Mike,

Don't ever hesitate to ask a question here. No flaming. These guys will help you out in a calm, respectful manner.

I'd leave the spacers if you like them.

Studs are the way to go. A normal lug wrench will pull the nuts off.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The look may be cool, but the rear tires are too close to the lip for comfort. I sometimes carry 3 other men to lunch at work since they all have 2-seaters...

I can't get more than the first joint of my index finger between the fender rim and the tire in the rear.

I'm showing off my new purchase tomorrow and I'm nervous the 1-month old Michelin Pilot Super Sports will rub.

I understand your concerns. Hopefully the studs are threaded enough, so that when you remove the spacer, the wheel will tighten up. I can't remember if they are threaded all the way to the hub. And the studs are going to stick out about 1/2" more than they do now (not a big deal), which I'm sure you know.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I forgot to say that it's lowered with KW coilovers and I'm also going to raise it up enough to clear cement parking bumpers in the front and a suitable match in the rear. So, based on my shop's suggestion, I guess I may or may not keep the spacers. But I definitely don't want to worry about scraping the front end...

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I understand your concerns. Hopefully the studs are threaded enough, so that when you remove the spacer, the wheel will tighten up. I can't remember if they are threaded all the way to the hub. And the studs are going to stick out about 1/2" more than they do now (not a big deal), which I'm sure you know.

"No flamesuit required"
    They are usually threaded all the way with an inch or two for the hub area being blank.

congrats on the new ride, KW's, wheel studs and new michelin PSS - sounds good already!

make sure when raising it that you stay within KW's recommended height range - if you raise it too high, you could damage the dampers (likewise for too low, but i don't think you're going in that direction ). also, depending on the spacer size, you may not need to remove them after raising the car up.

enjoy the car! please post some pics.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast