Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine

Engine

My 2004 ZHP has 175K miles and still runs like new, but I was thinking about when the engine does start to have issues what I will do. I was thinking about putting swapping in an M3 engine. Is it plug and play? Will my transmission and rear end handle the additional torque? Will it even fit? Has anyone ever done it?

Sideshow

There are a lot of variables, but with our cars it would be "worth it" more so than others, at least in my opinion. Having an E46 ZHP SEDAN with the S54 makes it that much closer to what BMW never built, but should have. Unlike that thread above where the guy wanted one in a Z3 with the M Roadster in existence.

The thing to keep in mind is that it really is an ENTIRELY different engine. You have to factor in not just install costs, but wiring and fuel system costs as well as CELs and emissions testing/tuning. Now, depending on your bankroll and timeframe this could not be much of a factor and/or could be spread out over time. I would say if you just "drop it off" at a shop and tell them "get it running" you are looking at significant labor costs significantly above buying a lower mileage M54 and swapping that in or even "refreshing" your current engine supercharging it and/or completely overhauling the car or just buying an M3.

Here is a video of one running built by Mach 5 Motorsports and Road Race Technologies here in Sterling, VA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziB8LzjLi7w

Here is a thread on someone doing the swap from a salvaged M3, it looks like they have a shop to use/significant experience, obviously lowering the costs significantly:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1027628

Based on my own musings on the subject:

Is it plug and play? No. Will it fit? Yes. Has anyone ever done it? Definitely. Just Google "BMW e46 sedan s54 swap"

Will my transmission and rear end handle the additional torque? Transmission, yes. Providing you have the 6-speed manual they are essentially the same. Rear-end, sort of...I would factor in installing an M3 rear end to go with the swap so that you have the LSD and bigger brakes to match the increased power. This could solved with a decent donor M3.

tl;dr Definitely possible, very intense time/money expenditure, but would be oh so worth it in the end.

S54 Exhaust Note

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Engine

Your engine isn't even close to worn out, it's not like a S85 that was designed to be rebuilt on a 60k mile basis. A M54 can easily make it to 300k and likely make it to 500k before needing a rebuild (or replacement). The only possible issue that would kill it would be overheating

WOW, thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

I'm at 233k over here and no signs of imminent failure. You have plenty of time
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Agree with other comments.. if you're thinking of S54 once the M54 wears out, re-evaluate in 50,000 miles. If you want to force an engine swap sooner, don't update the cooling system, don't change your oil, and if the temp gauge goes into the red, pull over to a safe spot and let the engine idle while you do a difficult Sudoku puzzle. With this course of action, the engine swap will certainly happen before 250,000 miles!

On the other hand if you want a S54 motor just for the sake of having that motor, you don't need to wait for the M54 motor to crap out--you can begin your swap tomorrow!

The only time you should consider an S54 swap is if:

1. Engine went bad, might as well.
    2. I have money. I want to.

Either way, there is no way to convince yourself that it's "worth it." Buying an M3 is always a far more straightforward, ultimately cheaper endeavor (if you consider opportunity-cost).
    In the market for an E90 M3

I agree with everything the others have said here. ONLY do this if the engine goes south and you have about $6K in discretionary funds, OR you just have $6K in discretionary funds and you want a big project. But you will at the very least need:

M3 Engine ($3k to 4K)
    M3 Drive shaft ($300 and up)
    M3 Rear End ($700 and up)
    Misc..... (replacement OEM parts (M3 parts have a much higher cost than non-M3), install costs (if a professional shop is used) and fluids cost)

I really have no idea what I am doing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast