Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If fuel filter is original at 124K miles, should definitely replace. Don't know enough about fuel pump failures to say if it could get weak intermittently--usually when they fail, they fail to pump any gas and your car stalls or won't start. Could also be VANOS seals but I think that would throw a code most of the time. My VANOS didn't throw codes at 140K miles but then upgrading the seals only delivered a small performance improvement.

And if I'm going 50mph and want some action when flooring the pedal, I'd drop it down to 3rd or 4th gear, not 5th! :-) But you have auto so different final drive ratio so may not be a good analogy.

BTW, since you are auto, I assume it's not a difference in how and when the auto downshifts, or you would have noticed and said something about the downshift, right?

Edit: Yes could be vacuum leak that is not big enough to throw a code and perhaps is inconsistent, maybe related to temperature? Or your car could just have more personality (i.e. possessed like Christine)

Has the DME been updated?

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Motor has noticibly different 'moods'

Quote Originally Posted by mbeckel View Post
    Has the DME been updated?

Sent from in the bushes
    Auto doesn't generally experience the 'dip' as they have different tuning

I'm still betting on vacuum leaks. Seals are only good for so long, and the time has took its toll on even the newest E46. Get the car smoke tested

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Auto doesn't generally experience the 'dip' as they have different tuning
    Ah. Gotcha. Did not know this. Thanks for clarifying

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Crappy gas?

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Winter mix of fuel.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Stock tuning. Only Chevron 91, best we have. Summer fuel. And yes if I wanted to actually go somewhere going 50 I would downshift. Staying in 5th at 50 just demonstrates when the problem is there, because it seems to effect torque the most.
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

I don't believe it's a vacuum issue - you'd have codes out the wazoo if it were bad enough to be that noticeable. Fuel pump, from what I know, tends to on these cars at least either work or not work at all. Winter gas sounds plausible, but you're getting the torque momentarily it sounds like. I would imagine, although I don't know for sure, that the degradation in quality would be more minor and consistent.

I would posit that somehow either fuel or air is being intermittently restricted. Either of these situations really should throw some kind of code though. Have you scanned it to see if there are any that haven't thrown a light yet?

If no codes, I would start looking at physical ways the power could be lost. For example, clogged fuel line or some crazy shit like that. But that brings me back to it needing to throw a code because it's running lean.... Weird. I'll keep thinking.

Sent from my iPhone

I re-read the part about the struggling sound. Does anyone think the problem could lie between the engine and the wheels? Funked up transmission or diff or something? Rope got twisted around the wheel? Lol...jk on that last one.

Sent from my iPhone

Motor has noticibly different 'moods'

Have you ever changed your spark plugs?

General question: How do those ignition coil pack things fail?

This is going to drive me nuts...

Sent from my iPhone

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast