Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some advice

Hey guys, need some maintenance advice. I have some money for some necessary maintenance on my car. I'd like to purchase the ECS Level II Cooling system refresh kit. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for the OEM version so I'll be getting the aftermarket kit, http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...ing/ES2063861/.

My questions are as follows - for the price, is there a better option? Also, how difficult is the work? Is this something I could do on my own w/ a good DIY writeup? Lastly, I'd like to also get some UD pulleys and install at the same time while I'm in there. The kit above comes w/ a WP pulley. Should I "opt out" of that one and pick up a set elsewhere?

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Work is not bad. I have that kit on my car. toughest part will be the expansion tank.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Sent from my iPhone

I'm on the same boat, running close to 59k miles, but I've read threads implying that is not necessary to overhaul the cooling system as many people say. In fact, I know owners with mileage above 150k and still on the OEM system.

Is it really necessary? I guess it has a lot to do with preventive maintenance.

At this point mileage isn't as important as age. The newest E46 is 8 years old and needs a new cooling system. The plastic is only good for so long

I'm at 105k and think my thermostat is stick open. The car reaches op temp then drops and fluctuates. If never goes over the 1/2 point, but I'm on borrowed time.

Check to see if you have heat and ac as well. If you don't have one or the other be sure to bleed the system. Could just be a air bubble. Winter is always the worst time to try to figure things out as things tend to freeze. Happened on my buddy's x5 and he refused to fix that thing for a year. Well good luck with everything.

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Thanks for the tips. Yes heat and AC have been acting funny lately. In fact one morning I got in the car and the fan did not work at all the display showed the fan at full speed but it didn't work no air came out of the vents. It started working on its own after restarting the car. Only happened once.

I guess the second thing I would suggest is getting a scan tool. Possibly a BMW scanner 1.4. That way you can see live data and reset the module if need to be. I know my buddy Kevin was stating that his fan speed seemed low lately due to the weather and it took him a hot to defrost. He believe it was the ihk unit or the fsr that was going bad. He then plug it to the computer, bump the fan speed and change the key memory. Hopefully that solved his problem. I do have a few more scanners if interested as well. Pm me if interested. There is a for sale thread if you want to see what else you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony's ZHP "Wulf" '03 Silver Gray | Valentine 1 Radar Detector| Alcantara | BMW Performance Intake | F10 M5 Knob | Auto-dim Retrofit | BMW Alarm | Performance Grilles | OEM Roof Rack | Rain Light Sensor Retrofit | Eonon D5150 Head Unit | BMW OEM Clear Lens

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnhl1989 View Post
    I guess the second thing I would suggest is getting a scan tool. Possibly a BMW scanner 1.4. That way you can see live data and reset the module if need to be. I know my buddy Kevin was stating that his fan speed seemed low lately due to the weather and it took him a hot to defrost. He believe it was the ihk unit or the fsr that was going bad. He then plug it to the computer, bump the fan speed and change the key memory. Hopefully that solved his problem. I do have a few more scanners if interested as well. Pm me if interested. There is a for sale thread if you want to see what else you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 great advice. That scanner is the truth!

Sent from in the bushes

My 7 year itch.

Mods: BimmerBrakes Headers, Magnaflow full system, BYS Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Racing Dynamics Intake, Dinan Throttle Body, Bavarian Auto Short Shifter, ECS Tuning Strut Bar, Projector Fogs, Blackout Grilles, Euro Smoked Tail Lights, Black Corner Lights.

Upcoming: Coil Overs, Sway Bars, Polyurethane Bushings all around, M3 motor mounts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast