Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My understanding is 50mm at full frame is close to what your eyes naturally see, which is why people often grab for it. So 35mm on a crop body is getting you close to that as well; the 50 will be a little too much if it isn't on a full frame. I still enjoy using a 50 without a full frame camera, but I think they're different applications.

That was my thinking as well, but I'm not 100% certain.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    LOL, yeah... i think the 1.4 is $400+.

it definitely has less fixed zoom. i remember the day i got it - i popped it on and started shooting my family, and we were in my mom's kitchen (visiting for a while), which is really dark, it was great for low-light stuff - i was blown away by the detail and the SPEED, especially in low light.

conversely, my wife doesn't really like it and always uses the 18-55 because she likes to be able to use the zoom to frame her shot, rather than having to move. i like the depth of field better with the 35mm and love the speed, and i think the images are better.

peter

That's not too bad - you get what you pay for! The 50mm 1.8d is not the most "solid" feeling lens, but everyone knows this. It still takes great photos. Here is one from earlier this year - the best part was it was planned - just simply threw the lens on and snapped a few photos.

EDIT: photo looks like garbage on here. here is the flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/416827...n/photostream/

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    My understanding is 50mm at full frame is close to what your eyes naturally see, which is why people often grab for it. So 35mm on a crop body is getting you close to that as well; the 50 will be a little too much if it isn't on a full frame. I still enjoy using a 50 without a full frame camera, but I think they're different applications.
    I may make the leap to a full frame body one day. I'm still using my first DSLR (D80) and still love it - I really need to use it more often. I think a full frame would be a ton of fun, but the D80 body matched with some nice glass should be plenty for me.... for now.

I agree with you on application of the 50mm on cropped vs. full frame. 35mm should be great for running around town and snapping family photos and such.

Quote Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
    That's not too bad - you get what you pay for! The 50mm 1.8d is not the most "solid" feeling lens, but everyone knows this. It still takes great photos. Here is one from earlier this year - the best part was it was planned - just simply threw the lens on and snapped a few photos.

EDIT: photo looks like garbage on here. here is the flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/416827...n/photostream/

I may make the leap to a full frame body one day. I'm still using my first DSLR (D80) and still love it - I really need to use it more often. I think a full frame would be a ton of fun, but the D80 body matched with some nice glass should be plenty for me.... for now.

I agree with you on application of the 50mm on cropped vs. full frame. 35mm should be great for running around town and snapping family photos and such.
    Why is that? Was it a mfg issue?
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Why is that? Was it a mfg issue?
    No, not at all. They just don't feel as "quality like" as the more expensive lenses. Still a great lens.

Sent from my iPhone

Nikon DX AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

I've had: 50mm 1.8D, 50mm 1.4G and currently have the 28mm 1.8G. Almost bought the 20mm 1.8G. I'll be selling it for Tamron's upcoming 15-30mm f2.8 VC (pending positive reviews).

The 28mm is by far the best of the 3 I owned. I still think the 28mm is too long for DX, but it's acceptable on FX. I miss to Tokina 12-24 f4, but that was DX only. Wider is better! Looking forward to that Tamron lens.

The 50mm f1.4 was unusable bellow f2.8.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12