Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Antifreeze / Coolant - does brand matter

Okay I'm not the worlds best engine buff but I am particular about keeping my engine healthy and happy. I need to get some coolant but I want to know if I should get it from BMW or if I went with something from a Kragen or PepBoys ?

I'll take some pics and post the competition if you will...

2004 ZHP Saloon
    Location - CA
    Very Proud Owner

2004 ZHP Saloon
    Location - CA
    Very Proud Owner

If you want to go with something cheaper, go with DEX-cool only, doesn't matter who makes it. Don't mess with anything else, and make sure you use distilled water if you don't buy the 50/50 mix.

I go with Mike Miller on this one. Safer to just use the BMW coolant and not have to worry.

If you're going to go with any other coolant, just make sure that it's phosphate free. Phosphates oxidize aluminum.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

spencers Guest
    Good idea, but I've always wondered: why? I can understand if using a different brand coolant if you're in a crunch, but BMW coolant is only $20.

What he ^ said. Dex-Cool has no phosphates in them, but it is your car so you have to choose.

Do not use anything other than the BMW specified coolant in an E46.

The BMW stuff has different anti-corrosion properties than the basic stuff you get at your local auto parts store. The aluminum in our engines doesn't last as long with the standard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Good idea, but I've always wondered: why? I can understand if using a different brand coolant if you're in a crunch, but BMW coolant is only $20.
    If you're in a pinch and need coolant, chances are you aren't going to be able to stop by a dealer for it. If you have a slow leak somewhere and it's after hours, you don't have much of a choice other than what you can buy at a gas station.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

On the way to BMW dealer now. Thanks guys!

2004 ZHP Saloon
    Location - CA
    Very Proud Owner

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    If you're in a pinch and need coolant, chances are you aren't going to be able to stop by a dealer for it. If you have a slow leak somewhere and it's after hours, you don't have much of a choice other than what you can buy at a gas station.
    I think that's why spencers said he could understand using a different brand if you're in a crunch.

That being said, as soon as I got home I'd be draining and refilling with the proper coolant.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast