Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BP, and I know you weren't trying to change my mind. And I absolutely wanted to hear your opinion.

I'll tell you what, though. The survey takers have spoken. But if members overwhelmingly -- in this thread -- said that they were not interested in this, and in fact were vehemently opposed to it, I would scrap it.

As you know, I am very sensitive to you guys. That's why I want to hear what people think right here in this thread. Some have spoken through the survey. This thread will be the place to hear the rest of you.

I too understand that operating this site is not free. I'm willing to subscribe to support this community because I see that it's worth it. This small, tight knit group has a much cooler vibe and homely feel that some of the other BMW forums that I frequent. But, I would have to agree with az3579 on the titles issue. I can see adding a small subscriber or something similar to a name but making their title bigger and bolder seems a little over the top. Unless that's what they want. Personally, I wouldn't feel it necessary to advertise that I had a subscription. Would there be any way to allow for the donating member to customize their tag?
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Unfortunately I did not happen to see the survey. If the majority supported it, so be it... you are still providing access to the site for free, so I have no issues with it (other than feeling like a loser if I didn't contribute. :-) )

I don't know how reasonable this request would be, but if we knew what it cost to run the site, perhaps we could figure out a contribution level among those who are willing to contribute to help keep it open... and as more people contribute, the fee would go down. I think it would be reasonable to add a kicker on top of that, call it a "management" fee, to pay for the time and upkeep of the site for those who run it, on top of what it takes to pay for the infrastructure to run it. If none of that makes sense, just ignore it and continue as if nothing happened. :-) Clearly the easier way for you to run it would just be the subscription levels, which was already voted upon. My .02. John
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    I don't know how reasonable this request would be, but if we knew what it cost to run the site, perhaps we could figure out a contribution level among those who are willing to contribute to help keep it open... and as more people contribute, the fee would go down. I think it would be reasonable to add a kicker on top of that, call it a "management" fee, to pay for the time and upkeep of the site for those who run it, on top of what it takes to pay for the infrastructure to run it. If none of that makes sense, just ignore it and continue as if nothing happened. :-) Clearly the easier way for you to run it would just be the subscription levels, which was already voted upon. My .02. John
    Are you proposing a fee to use the website?
    I do not think the members would feel it is a good thing to be forced to contribute to use the site. I probably misunderstood you though.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Static, yes. You could absolutely opt out of the subscriber designation. What's more, subscribers could customize their own titles. However, people will realize that you subscribed if they see a customized title -- though they will have no idea how much was contributed.

I'm absolutely open to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I do not think the members would feel it is a good thing to be forced to contribute to use the site. I probably misunderstood you though.
    John was not suggesting that the site become a paid site.

His quote: "perhaps we could figure out a contribution level among those who are willing to contribute...." He's just talking about those who are willing to contribute.

This will not be a paid site.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    No, not proposing a fee. Just saying that one thought would be to match the subscription costs to the cost of running the site, for those who wanted to contribute. So, for example, if we knew the site costs $100/month, but the costs were only covering $75, maybe some people would want to chip in to help. And the converse would be true. John
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

My thoughts are this.....as I am hosting the first East Coast Meet. This has put a huge financial responsibility and time sink on me. I have asked no one for money...as I volunteered to host. I am happy and feel fortunate to be able to host.

The funds that not only help to fund the site....hopefully will also be helpful in hosting kick ass future meets.

A well funded Mafia...imho....will operate and be more successful than an unfunded site.

The people that I know here, that do donate money, don't want the recognition, but it is our responsibility, as the Mafia Team, to garner to that good will.

We want other members on the site, to know, who the donating members, as that may be but a glimpse, of the character of the person (but not the tell all).

I understand there are completely selfish people, who would donate only for that recognition. I do not see them here.

I understand that there are incredibly giving people, who cannot afford to give. That is understandable.

I realize there are people that will never donate $0.01 to this site, but will suck everything out of it they can. I am also ok with this, as the Mafia Team is one of good will toward all BMW enthusiasts, who represent the car well in whatever capacity that is.

This is not meant, in any way, shape or form, to alienate anyone from the site. This is a two fold win for all of us in the Mafia:

1. We help, how we can, to fund the site, stickers, meets, special events, and even give back to the founder who has been gracious with his time and money.
    2. We recognize those who donate, rightfully so. That's it. Really.

No one should read into this. That is all it is about. We wouldn't be here, if we didn't enjoy each others company.

My thoughts, humbly submitted, to the Mafia members.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

John, while I would love to say that the site costs $100 a month to run each month, I can't say that. In fact, we're in our fifth month of operations. Monthly expenses have varied wildly each month.

Last month we moved to a new server. The monthly server cost went up on a monthly basis (up 20%). I had to compensate those who helped facilitate the server move. Additionally, I have a business connection here at my house so that I can run the site efficiently. I've got a fast connection here. It helps me respond to posts almost immediately.

What's more, the site is going to get a new look during the next four weeks. I will be paying for banners to go with the new look. These are costs that will be above the normal monthly operating costs.

Perhaps because we're in the early stages of this site, costs are still high. I imagine that, by the end of the year, things will even out.

None of these costs, by the way, factor in my time that I spend nurturing the site on a daily basis. I don't even want to know what my hourly rate is right now. I suspect I'm making about a penny an hour. LOL. I'd do better if I was incarcerated, working in the laundry department.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast