Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Sounds like a blast. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Looks like fun!
    Thanks, It sure is!

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Looks great. Love karting. Puts a smile on my face and the bugs get stuck in my teeth.
    Gotta remember, visor down

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    awesome post! and sounds like a great plan. i love karting and have been to F1 Boston numerous times, and two weeks ago i went karting on a friend's bachelor party at Action500 in montreal - my best friend and i got some one-on-one track time and got into the top 5 times for the month there - we were stoked!

i have long wanted to join a karting league, and it would be a great venue for family racing too, when my son gets older (unfortunately my daughter has no interest in karting).

good stuff! keep up with the updates!
    F1 Boston really is a fantastic facility, between the two tracks, quick karts, beautiful lobby, and full restaurant, it's hard to beat! It's always nice once in a while to have an open track to try and bang out the best possible time. If you you have even a thought about joining a league and one is convenient for you, just do it. The racing is much better with guys who are as quick, if not faster than you. There is no better feeling than going wheel to wheel in a great battle! How old is your son? Sometimes the sooner they start, the better they will be! Some kids in the leagues are six and seven years old if you have the resources. I'll try and update as much as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by jakksfor20 View Post
    I raced down in Sarasota as a kid. That was "low" budget racing as my Dad did it for me, my brother, and he also raced. I was competitive even being in a slower kart compared to the ones that had money, blue-printed motors, always new tires. That has long burned a fire in me. I've raced at indoor tracks all over the country and consistently could go near the top times quickly. While I was in Virginia Beach last year, I had one of the regular Top 3 guys turn me on purpose after I passed him. He was pissed that someone with just a few laps could do that. Anyways, after looking into doing league racing, I just found it too expensive for what I could get out of it. That is the main reason I have pretty much latched on with a Chump Car team. I've got into doing the HPDE's and am looking to do my first race in November.

Good luck, always enjoy reading about people actually do something about their racing passion. In anyway possible.
    I definitely feel where you are coming from. My friend I mentioned who is going to Skip Barber had way more opportunity than me, racing in a brand new CRG Rotax kart for the last year or so and participating in ALL the leagues. It's really frustrating being held back by finances or a willingness to save money. I'm the same way whenever I get out onto a new track. I'm quickly up to speed and can usually post a top time in the first session or two in a new kart on a new track. Hopefully with this series the racing won't get too too expensive, as you mentioned, since the engines are cheap and reliable. Chump Car seems like a fantastic series if you can cobble together a decent car with some good friends, best of luck with that!
    - Evan - Karting Thread - YouTube -

Quote Originally Posted by E_Rak View Post
    F1 Boston really is a fantastic facility, between the two tracks, quick karts, beautiful lobby, and full restaurant, it's hard to beat! It's always nice once in a while to have an open track to try and bang out the best possible time. If you you have even a thought about joining a league and one is convenient for you, just do it. The racing is much better with guys who are as quick, if not faster than you. There is no better feeling than going wheel to wheel in a great battle! How old is your son? Sometimes the sooner they start, the better they will be! Some kids in the leagues are six and seven years old if you have the resources. I'll try and update as much as possible!
    my son is 7, and small for his age, which complicates things - he's only about 47" tall. but he's got a lot of skill and good instincts (i remember pushing him on a toy vehicle when he was 4; i slid the rear end out into a drift and he counter-steered without me prompting - what a great moment that was ).

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Damn. Awesome work. Looks great.

The friendliest forum on the planet!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

E_Rak's Karting Saga

I also did a league race here at AMP. Awesome track with 144 feet of elevation change. First experience since I was a kid having to add weight to meet the 175# class. Started 10th out of 18 in the first race and made it to 4th before I was punted (more experienced guy missed his braking zone into a hairpin. Ended up finishing 9th. Second race I started 9th again after inversion). Finished 3rd. First time actually feeling the effects of a draft. 55mph public karts is what they basically are.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    my son is 7, and small for his age, which complicates things - he's only about 47" tall. but he's got a lot of skill and good instincts (i remember pushing him on a toy vehicle when he was 4; i slid the rear end out into a drift and he counter-steered without me prompting - what a great moment that was ).
    Kid's a natural born racer! I promise you if you go to a real club karting event you will see a few youngins much smaller than him!

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Damn. Awesome work. Looks great.
    Thanks boss.

I also did a league race here at AMP. Awesome track with 144 feet of elevation change. First experience since I was a kid having to add weight to meet the 175# class. Started 10th out of 18 in the first race and made it to 4th before I was punted (more experienced guy missed his braking zone into a hairpin. Ended up finishing 9th. Second race I started 9th again after inversion). Finished 3rd. First time actually feeling the effects of a draft. 55mph public karts is what they basically are.
    Haha, I remember lugging those weights to my kart every time as well! I think I'm going to need about 40 pounds to get into the World Formula Light class, which is 365 kart and driver.

I'm going to try and have an update for you later tonight, did a few things in preparation for Saturday. If I don't have time, then Friday night for sure.

So got a few things done. Spent about five hours with a buddy trying to align the front end of the kart by hand with rulers and tape measure. We eventually gave up and had to go pay a visit to George at ApexKarting in North Reading who let me use his scales and Sniper laser aligner on the house.

New cuffs on the legs of my racing suit, thanks mom!!!

IMAG0285 by 686erak, on Flickr

Getting ready to pad the seat for my skinny ass.

IMAG0283 by 686erak, on Flickr

Bridgstones coming off to be changed for the harder Mojo Greens for the practice day.

IMAG0284 by 686erak, on Flickr

Raising the front ride height, too low for my liking, really easy to drag. As simple as shuffling spacers around. If only it were that easy on a car??

IMAG0282 by 686erak, on Flickr

Sitting pretty on the scales.

IMAG0286 by 686erak, on Flickr

Kart only, 2/3 tank of fuel.

IMAG0287 by 686erak, on Flickr

Kart with me and racing gear on. I'll need to add between 50 and 60 pounds of ballast depending on the fuel load.

IMAG0289 by 686erak, on Flickr

Packed up and ready for the morning. I also managed to squeeze a small table and three collapsible chairs in here after the photo.

IMAG0297 by 686erak, on Flickr

Hopefully will have some more pics from the track tomorrow!

Just a question. Do they not require the side pods to be wire locked on? Just wondering if your wing nuts will be satisfactory.

Good luck! I have been running a Sodi 125 TAG the past couple of years in the Tampa area. Karts are great fun for the dollar, and is the best way to feed the speed beast economically. Although I love karting, it and car racing are very different beasts. Both are unique in there own way, with their own satisfaciton.

I started in karts as a kid, and eventually worked my way up into IMSA and SCCA Pro, and although somewhat successful, it became unsustainable with life.
    2004 330i ZHP ESS TS2 supercharged
    Silver Grey/Black leather, Xenons, factory Nav, 19" VMR V710 & 18" ZHP wheels for summer, Turner Motorsports rear sub-frame kit

Just a question. Do they not require the side pods to be wire locked on? Just wondering if your wing nuts will be satisfactory.
    You make a good point. Today was just an open practice session so there was no tech inspection. I actually ran my first few laps with them like that and quickly realized they were working themselves loose. I opted to remove them in lieu of zip ties holding the bars to the frame, as per the recomendation of a local kart builder in my town. It's crazy how bolts you think are right and good to go come back barely hanging on at the end of a session! Lock nuts, lock tite, and safety wire all around as a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by prowlerflyer View Post
    Good luck! I have been running a Sodi 125 TAG the past couple of years in the Tampa area. Karts are great fun for the dollar, and is the best way to feed the speed beast economically. Although I love karting, it and car racing are very different beasts. Both are unique in there own way, with their own satisfaciton.

I started in karts as a kid, and eventually worked my way up into IMSA and SCCA Pro, and although somewhat successful, it became unsustainable with life.
    Thanks for the comments. As my first foray into high performance karts I think I hit a good sweet spot with World Formula for its lower running costs. I can definitely see how the sport can get very expensive, very quickly. You're right, running in a real car at speed is a completely different beast to a go kart with no suspension! Too bad you couldn't make a career out of racing, it's always been one of those dreams of mine I will probably never satisfy.

Soo anyway. Today was the test and tune / open practice at F1 Outdoors in Bridgewater. We ran the revers (clockwise) config with the banking included, a part of the track I haven't run before. It sure was an experience. Coming from only having driven rental karts, I wasn't really prepared for the cornering ability of a proper chassis. Even on (relatively) hard Mojo D2s, the cornering speeds and g-forces in some of the corners was astonishing! Need to do some real work on the kart's setup. I couldn't really get the handling quite right all day, I was struggling with rear end grip on corner exit and stability over the bumps. I did make a few improvements though on my first day out. Gearing also was too short, I was hitting the limiter early down the main straight, and I didn't think to bring my other sets of gears. Next time.

Had a couple scary moments. Got distracted trying to watch out for a group of 2-strokes coming up behind me and missed the corner entry on a hairpin. I locked up and spun and thankfully backed away off the racing line. Second incident was near pit in. In this config, it's on the outside of a pretty fast (nearly flat) sweeping 180 degree right hander. I could have sworn the guy in front of me had his hand up and was on the outside of the track to pit in, but decided at the last minute to stay out. Meanwhile, I'm coming up the inside, noting that he is about to pit in, and get completely caught out when he stays on track. I lock the brakes and do a heart-wrenching 180 at a pretty good clip, thankfully not hitting anything. I definitely earned the rookie stripes on my back bumper today.

Quick video of me coming off the final turn (scene of aforementioned off!), hitting the limiter too early down the straight. Sorry for potato quality, iPhones really like to compress their video.

Quick shot down the paddock, looking pathetic next to everyone's big trailers!

IMG952128 by 686erak, on Flickr

Steezy as heckkkk.

2014-08-16 10.40.34 by 686erak, on Flickr

Big shoutout to my friend Steve (SER) who helped me out a ton!

2014-08-16 10.42.29 by 686erak, on Flickr

2014-08-16 11.01.57 by 686erak, on Flickr

Dad's watchful eye.

2014-08-16 10.46.23 by 686erak, on Flickr

Suiting up.

2014-08-16 10.45.06 by 686erak, on Flickr

Looking a bit flustered after my big off (note the grass on the hot tires). Girlfriend standing by feeling a bit jelly, she used to race too.

2014-08-16 11.01.07 by 686erak, on Flickr

Will update later in the week with status on teardown and inspection, setup changes, and maintenance items! Thanks for reading!

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Way cool!!

Sent from my GS3.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast