Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removing waterpump without removing fan and clutch first

I'm beginning to formulate a plan for converting over to electric cooling fan. I also want to replace the waterpump while I have everything apart.

To avoid having to unbolt the mechanical fan and fan clutch, can I unbolt everything as a unit at the waterpump? In other words, is there enough access to allow me to first unbolt the waterpump and remove the WP, clutch and fan as a unit?

I don't think so. Maybe.

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The fan clutch is simple to remove...

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Mechanical Fan Delete is so worth it! The fan has to come out first to get to the water pump.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Not enough room I think. Definitely isn't enough room on the S54. I doubt the M54 is much better there.

Yeah. I was hoping to take a short cut but no chance. Thanks

I don't have mech fan on my E46 but I recently deleted it from the E36. Funny thing is first time I loosened it, the wrench+hammer method worked perfectly, but the 2nd time it didn't work. I had to brace a prybar or screwdriver on the water pump screws to loose the nut. Of course that was one reason I deleted the whole mech fan + clutch (plus the fan had a broken blade so was unbalanced).

I bought a thin 32mm wrench on eBay and regret that I didn't also buy the water pump holding tool at the same time--could have bought it for about $10 more with the wrench. UUC Motorwerks recently started selling a 32mm wrench+holder combo for a reasonable price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast