Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

weird whistle under part throttle...

having a weird issue... noticed it when outside temps start to get to around 0ºC, but tonight when it was -28.5ºC it was pretty bad. the issue is a steady-pitched whistle coming from the engine - does not change in pitch, always the same pitch. only happens at part-throttle (like 10%), letting off the throttle or applying more relieves the noise.

it can't be rotational as the pitch does not change. any ideas?

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I don't remember if you recently replaced it or not, but it could be the CCV - whistling is a symptom. I did a lot of short trips in the days leading to this deep freeze and my CCV was partially clogged Tuesday morning. Similar symptoms. Plus the mayo in the crankcase was frozen.

Solution is to open the oil cap and take out the dipstick. Let engine run in neutral until coolant reaches 12 oclock. Listen for any weird noises and turn engine off if anything seems weird. This will warm things up in the engine bay and melt the mayo in the system.

After that you need an italian tune-up.
    Alex'16 Melbourne Red 328d Touring
    M Sport + M Performance Package

Gone, but not forgotten: '03 Imola Red 330i ZHP - 6MT

Hmm. I had a partial throttle whistle that I believed was caused by the after market intake because I had all new boots, but not sure it changed based on temps and I live in Northern CA so not very cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Hmm. I had a partial throttle whistle that I believed was caused by the after market intake because I had all new boots, but not sure it changed based on temps and I live in Northern CA so not very cold.
    Ditto. I have a small whistle on mine caused by my AFE intake. It's at all temps and early on the throttle. All hoses and boots are new.

You could possibly check your intake boots for cracks or fitment and press from there. I also agree with Alexandre on the CCV. That.. and a good ole Italian tune is always fun

AFE stage 1 CAI, Silicone Stett Intake Boots, AA Headers and Exhaust, AA Tune, Cat Delete, Hicon GT Adjustable Coilovers, Quaife Helical LSD, EVO 3 SS Kit, UUC Organic Clutch w/ UUC LW Flywheel, GTR rep carbon fiber hood, CSL rep carbon fiber trunk, CDV delete, CP Forged Pistons & SP Forged Con Rods, MotoZ projector headlights, Sony bluetooth/touch nav, & lots of love
    -Ben

Quote Originally Posted by alexandre View Post
    I don't remember if you recently replaced it or not, but it could be the CCV - whistling is a symptom. I did a lot of short trips in the days leading to this deep freeze and my CCV was partially clogged Tuesday morning. Similar symptoms. Plus the mayo in the crankcase was frozen.

Solution is to open the oil cap and take out the dipstick. Let engine run in neutral until coolant reaches 12 oclock. Listen for any weird noises and turn engine off if anything seems weird. This will warm things up in the engine bay and melt the mayo in the system.

After that you need an italian tune-up.
    LOL @ the italian tune-up.

my CCV is gone at this point - running an ADD W1 catch can w/ PCV valve. not entirely pleased with the can, but that is beside the point - the whistling started while i still had the OE CCV plumbed into the system...

i forgot to mention, that after the car is good and warmed up (like, say 10+ minutes of driving), the noise is gone. however, the colder it is outside, the longer it persists.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Ditto. I have a small whistle on mine caused by my AFE intake. It's at all temps and early on the throttle. All hoses and boots are new.

You could possibly check your intake boots for cracks or fitment and press from there. I also agree with Alexandre on the CCV. That.. and a good ole Italian tune is always fun
    i have an aFe Pro Dry S and i actually put the stock intake back in to troubleshoot - happens with either intake. my intake boots are about 7 months old.

wondering if i have a vacuum leak elsewhere - perhaps at the fuel filter? that is next on my list of things to replace. it is hard to determine exactly where the whistle is coming from.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I had a slight whistle in mine yesterday . First I've noticed it (and first it's been this cold).

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I had a slight whistle in mine yesterday . First I've noticed it (and first it's been this cold).
    we'll get through it together, shawn!

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

snagged a rough video. shawn, does yours sound like this? note the temp gauge, still rising (i had been driving for maybe 2-3 minutes at this point).

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Very similar. Faint and intermittent. I was listening to a podcast and actually thought it was mic feedback, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast