Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How to keep the engine happy?

Hi,

I have a 2006 Coupe with close to 98k miles...

I live in a small city called Columbus, IN and commute to usually work using my ZHP... The problem is my work place is only a mile away... I usually car pool with a friend and try not too use my ZHP at very low ambient temps, but some days I just have to take my car (I wish I could walk, my its freezing cold now)...

I know I am harming my engine by driving it only a mile each way, but is there something I can do to keep my engine happy? Should I try and take a longer route everyday, and if so what should be the minimum driving distance? Or should I just let it idle longer and not turn off the engine until the temp gauge hits 12 o'clock?

Thanks!!

Every few days go for a long drive, at least 30min

Leave early and drive 5 Mikes put of your way. Turn around....go to work.

The friendliest forum on the planet.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I take the long way to the commuter lot sometimes just to warm her up.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Get a bicycle.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

Or moped.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Does it really harm your engine that much? I drive about 3 miles to school everyday an now its about 20 degrees every morning. Usually my temp gauge never goes above the first tick mark after blue. Im kinda concerned now.

2004 black on black 330ci ~Mason

You want to have the engine to reach normal operating temps.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by SoDelBMW View Post
    Does it really harm your engine that much? I drive about 3 miles to school everyday an now its about 20 degrees every morning. Usually my temp gauge never goes above the first tick mark after blue. Im kinda concerned now.
    Mason, read through my project thread, I had a spell of "lost" oil for a while. I switched oil from BMW 5W-30 to Mobil 1 OW-40 and stopped driving back and forth to the Metro (less than 3 miles). Have not lost a drop since (knock on wood). I follow the advice here and try to avoid short trips as much as possible. Short trips are bad for any car engine, it's just with the M54, there are some components (the CCV) that just are not designed to tolerate it. These cars were built to be driven. If that commute is your day to day, so be it. Just try and get out after school or on the weekends for an Italian tune-up on some backroads, hammer on her, show her a good time, slap her around and burn off whatever build up there is as best you can.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDelBMW View Post
    The 'temp gauge' is measuring coolant temp. What we are talking about is getting the motor oil up to temperature. Non-M's don't have an oil temp gauge.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast