Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Stett Performance Silicone Intake Boots Review

All of this started when I purchased Bruce's DINAN throttle body a few weeks ago.

Bruce mentioned that I should look at getting Stett Performance intake boots because they were made from silicone, were smooth inside throughout and were long lasting. I got the impression that these intake boots were the ones, everyone who wanted to have improved intake boots in their engine bay, that were very hard to find let alone to source.

I searched for them on Google and found the Stett Performance web site. When I checked for these intake boots they were listed as being on back order.... (see image below)

Yes, price seemed a little high but I figured that was because these intake boots were exclusive and very hard to source. Seeing that these boots were back ordered and not available through their web site I felt it wouldn't hurt to send these guys an email asking when they would have a set available for purchase. I can tell all of you that I'm glad I took the time to email these guys!!!

A little backstory which starts with this email I sent to Stett Performance:

"Regarding your STETT Performance E46 M54 3.0L Silicone Throttle Body Boot Kit, I see this product is back ordered. I also noticed that you can only order the throttle body boot set in black. Is there a possibility that I can order this in red since I already have red silicone cooling hoses in my engine bay? I would love to place an order for this product as I have heard nothing but good things from everyone who have used this product on their BMWs. Is there a time frame when you expect to have these hoses available for purchase? Thanks for your time, I look forward to your response. Thank you."

They responded:
    "Hi Charlie, thank you for contacting us! I actually happen to have one set of red left on the shelf. If you want to place the order you can either do so through our web store and specify RED in the notes or I can send you a Paypal invoice, whichever you prefer... which you can pay with a credit card or your Paypal account - if you have one.

Sincerely,

Stett Performance
    "

Since I couldn't specify which color on their web page, I just sent them a follow-up email and as they say.... started on a path that led to our recent group buy The reason I'm starting a product review page is because of this group buy. I would like for all participants, and current owners who are using this intake boots, to post their reviews of this product (good or bad) on this thread for others to review

I would love to see pics of this intake boot installed in your cars as I'm sure other's would as well So let's get started!

When you receive a package from Stett Performance it will look like the package on the left (white package)

When my package arrived this is how the intake boots looked like....Patrick ordered the red intake boots so he will love these pics

Then I stacked the new intake boots with my DINAN throttle body which I will be installing in the upcoming weekend with Botond's help...

You can see just how thick these intake boots are. By the way when reconnecting the "F" connector do that pretty much at the end of the install. Once inserted it is extremely difficult to pull the "F" connector back out. The Stett boots really grab onto the connector. Just a reminder

Here's a closer shot of that tube where the "F" connector is inserted into on the boot...

When mounting the new intake boot it is easiest to take the OEM plastic connector that attaches both the lower and upper intake boots and insert it to the lower intake boot where both the lower and upper boots connect. Then take the lower intake boot and mount it onto the throttle body. The Stett boot is stiff. Of course for those with the DINAN throttle body, keep in mind that the throttle body is 9% larger in diameter. I forgot about this and wrestled with getting the boot properly mounted. You can ask Botond about that....he was watching me install the boot.

Initially I had everything connected together and then realized it would be much easier to install just the lower boot first, which is what I ended up doing. Once the lower boot is mounted and secured (you can reuse the steel bands that were on the OEM intake boots) you can attach the upper boot and then secure the bands. The rest of the install should be very easy at that point

Here's a picture showing the Stett Performance intake boots installed (note the "F" connector attached on top)

Once everything was reattached and secured, I took my ZHP out for a quick drive with Botond and my initial impressions were that the car seemed to rev very smoothly throughout the RPM range. Of course, I had a bigger throttle body as well so coupled with that my ZHP felt like it was stronger in the low to mid RPM range almost like the car seemed to tell me that it could breathe much better. I realize that I have tons of mods on my car (Sprint Booster, UUC Corsa TSE3 exhaust, Gruppe M CAI, TMS 3.46 LSD, and now my new Stett Performance intake boots)...but I have to say that my ZHP with all of these mods, have become the car I have been seeking for my daily driver. Okay, back on topic...my review of the intake boots... the engine feels very smooth throughout the RPM range, especially in the low to mid areas since putting my new intake boots on. This is what I was going for and am very pleased, although I shelled out much more cash than those involved in the group buy, I am still very happy I did this mod

When the question "would you do this again?" is asked, it is obvious what my answer is.....

1. cakM3 (Charlie) - Delivered
    2. TheFinanceGuy (Patrick) - Delivered
    3. Vas - Delivered
    4. sillieidiot (Hieu) - Delivered
    5. Fenrir (Ben) - Delivered
    6. NoVAphotog (Daniel) - Delivered
    7. az3579 (Botond) - Delivered
    8. elcid86 (Shawn) - Delivered
    9. Plague (Erik) - Delivered
    10. tnhl1989 (Tony) - Delivered
    11. Jconlin16 (Jay) - Delivered
    12. NMZHP (Don) - Delivered
    13. warrenbrown (Warren) - Delivered
    14. Just_George (George) - Delivered
    15. danewilson77 (Boss) - Delivered
    16. slater (Peter) - Delivered

Let's hear from others who have this intake boot installed, and also from everyone in this group buy
    Last edited by cakM3; 03-15-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Bummed I missed the group buy. Definitely need to look at getting this.

Seriously, get another GB going. I'm in for sure and I' willing to bet you'll have another 9 easy.

I might go for a second set for the 330Ci, but I'd like to get the first set, install them, and see how I like them before committing to a second set. My guess is that Jedi is correct (are Jedi always correct?) and getting another 9 commitments wouldn't be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
    Seriously, get another GB going. I'm in for sure and I' willing to bet you'll have another 9 easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_George View Post
    I might go for a second set for the 330Ci, but I'd like to get the first set, install them, and see how I like them before committing to a second set. My guess is that Jedi is correct (are Jedi always correct?) and getting another 9 commitments wouldn't be difficult.
    You guys can start up another feeler thread and if there's more than 10 confirmed would-be buyers, I will contact Stett Performance and see if they are open to starting another group buy You guys take charge

Well, maybe it's best to wait for the initial group to arrive. I Think once we have some real feedback and people got their stuff, others will be more apt to commit.

Quote Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
    Well, maybe it's best to wait for the initial group to arrive. I Think once we have some real feedback and people got their stuff, others will be more apt to commit.
    That's why I started this review thread so others who receive their intake boots from Stett Performance can post their thoughts and reviews

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a few extra sets made at the same time to sell on their website.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

I think you feel out interest in a group buy on their radiator hoses
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Got my package today.

First impressions is great. The boots look like they are a solid construction.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast