Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel

Fuel

I read in my owner's manual to use Premium fuel. My question is will it damage my engine to use a lower grade fuel (87 octane)?

No but you will not get full performance out of your engine.

Let's say you fill up once a week. The cost savings might be $3 per fill up if you use regular instead of premium (but probably more like $2). That totals out to $150 (or less) over the course of a year. Not worth it if you ask me.

You'll lose about 2-3 MPG. So in reality, when you're thinking about saving money...you're not

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Thanks. I end up driving about 800 miles a week and average about 25 MPG and 87 octane is .30 per gallon cheaper. So I could save $10 per week or $520 a year. But you may be right, not worth it. I just need to be sure it won't damage my car; I really dig this thing.

Sideshow, welcome to the forum. I'm with the group here. Not worth it -- in the long run. The cost saving doesn't seem significant enough.

I agree. I just talked to the BMW dealer in Arlington, VA and their service dept recommends alternating everyother tank between premium and regular. Since I have you on the line; what spark plugs do you recommend?

I wouldn't use any plugs other than these: NGK BKR6EQUP

NGK BKR6EQUP. You can pick them up at Advance Auto Parts.

They're having a deal right now. $20 Off Orders Over $75 At Advance Auto Parts. Use Code BIG20 At Checkout.

Thanks guys! By the way I LOVE this website!!

Sideshow, be sure to formally introduce yourself in the new members section.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast