Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafoam??

Seafoam??

I just came across a pretty interesting forum topic about putting Seafoam in the vacuum hose on your brake booster and in your gas tank? Does this really help clean out deposits with no harmful side effects?? The thread has mostly good, but some "mixed" reviews. I recognized a few Mafia members on the thread so I figured I'd revisit the topic here to see if anyone's opinions have changed. Yes Dane, I'm talking to you!

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...afoam-diy-done
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

I've done it on both e46's I've owned. What is your question homey?

"No flamesuit required"
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Well basically, does it work and is it worth it? I've been reading up on it, and it's mostly great reviews, with a few haters mixed in. This forever long thread below has a ton of info from folks who've used it, and it sounds like it really does work. Naturally I'm just slightly nervous about the "what if" factor, ya dig? I saw that you used it successfully, like 10 years ago though... Sounds like the method of 1/3's is the way to go, 1/3 bottle down the brake booster vacuum hose, 1/3 bottle in the crank case oil filler & 1/3 in the gas tank at around 1/4-1/2 tank of gas. Then also spray 1/2 can of the "deep creep" aerosol down the intake tube after the MAF. Sound about right?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...620082&page=15
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

There is actually a formula on the bottle. What you pour in your engine is determined by volume.

Also, I wouldn't use the line from the brake booster. I've never done it to my E46 but the point of it is to get it evenly spread through the intake manifold. Generally BMW runs the booster vacuum off a single intake runner

I tried 1/3 in brake booster line, 1/3 in gas tank, 1/3 in oil, and 1/3 in a fruit smoothie, but my math must have been off or the store swindled me because I could not find all 4 thirds in the can.

Actually I put about 1/3 into the brake booster line and did not notice any differences, positive or negative.

I use it in my fuel tank occasionally. However, have never used it in the oil or intake. Never had a reason to try it. I sort of follow the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" mantra. High Quality Fresh oil, and fresh fuel seem to work fine for me.
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

After all the gunk from my bad CCV, I'm considering doing this. I read a lot on it as well with mostly positive reviews (from non BMW forums as well).
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Hey John,

That actually sounds like it may be one beneficial thing you can do with seafoam.

First disconnect the drain hose to the dipstick tube and put it into a container to catch the gunk. Disconnect the CCV hose from the valve cover with the engine idling and spray seafoam into it. That theoretically should clean it out.

BTW, was your old CCV full of gunk? Being a southern CA car I would think it would be pretty clean.

I did it a while ago. Poured it slowly in the brake booster while someone else held the revs at 1k. Think I poured half the bottle in and then turned the engine off. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Started it up and started ripping the revs. Theres a video on my instagram. Most smoke I've seen in my life. Other half went in the gas tank later. I would say I feel a noticeable difference and the motor seems to rev more freely.
    Modification Thread
    Original Car: Silver Grey on Grey, A/T (1 of 186)
    As it sits: Silver Grey on Black, M/T (1 of 51)
    European Auto Source Tech
    Instagram: @CarbonZHP

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    Hey John,

That actually sounds like it may be one beneficial thing you can do with seafoam.

First disconnect the drain hose to the dipstick tube and put it into a container to catch the gunk. Disconnect the CCV hose from the valve cover with the engine idling and spray seafoam into it. That theoretically should clean it out.

BTW, was your old CCV full of gunk? Being a southern CA car I would think it would be pretty clean.
    Well it's a new one now so that's not needed for that particularly. Thanks for the suggestion. I would not really say "full of gunk" but there was some in there, plus oil in the intake, etc.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast