Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Amazing progress, car's looking great (especially after the respray of the hood)!
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

Engine Replacement

Well today was a real test. 5 hrs and 340 miles up to the lake. It was a blast and the engine held its own! No issues other than someone changing lanes and forces me to move both left tires off the road.....on the highway at 75 mph. That was fun.

Loaded and ready for adventure.

Stretching our legs at a rest stop.

Last time the car was up here in northern Michigan was the summer of 2014. Killed a lot of bugs but she made it.

Shortly after we arrived it rained a little and then we enjoyed a double rainbow over the lake.

Now I’m sipping on some Jameson Black Barrel enjoying the view. Perfect ending to today’s adventures!

2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint

Raised the hood yesterday up here at the lake to check all my fluids and the upper radiator hose under vacuum and flattened out. It also looks like the hose was coming off of the plastic connector on the radiator and expansion tank side. It looks like I’ve leaked a little coolant out there too.

I ordered an aftermarket one from the local autozone. It’s made my Continental so hopefully it’s good quality. They didn’t have the Reins brand and couldn’t get it, and the dealership an hour away couldn’t get it before I had to head home. I also got a new expansion tank cap.

Just replaced then in the yard here at the lake and bled the system and test drive it. Everything seems to be in order.

There is however a small oil spot on the ground under where it was parked the last two days. I checked the oil and it was full. It doesn’t look like any has leaked out. I pulled the valve cover and put on some RTV prior to coming up here because there was a little oil leaking out of the back of the valve cover. I’m really hoping it isn’t the rear main seal. I just put a new one in when I rebuilt the motor.

Could it be the oil separator? That’s the one thing I didn’t replace.

Well I found a new place today. There is a DIY shop 5 minutes from my house where you can rent a lift! My new favorite place. You can rent a lift for $20 an hour and if you need tools you can pay $10 an hour to have access to all of their tools.

I wish I would’ve known about this place sooner.

I did find the leak. There is oil leaking from the back of the valve cover and it’s leaking down onto the exhaust.

I picked up a new valve cover and will install it tomorrow. I will also inspect the valve cover for cracks. The only other thing it could be would possibly be a faulty Oil Separator causing excess crank pressure which would maybe force oil out of the valve cover?

Very cool!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

So today I set out to tackle the leaking valve cover.

Either I over tightened the valve cover or my PCV was bad, so I picked up a new PCV, hose, and valve cover gasket set.

I’m glad I got the PCV because it had failed and was allowing oil to go back into the intake.

So much room with the old one removed. You have to remove so many things to get it to.

The new one is a cold weather one since I live in northern Indiana.

Old on the right. New on the left.

New Oil Separator installed. It is a tight fit if you install the cold weather one.

I also cleaned out my Idle Control Valve. It moved freely but not as freely as it should, and it had a lot of carbon build up.

I then got the valve cover off and cleaned off the surface. Then I took a brake. It was hot out today.

Then I cleaned the valve cover and installed the new gasket.

Did I mention it was hot today....

Everything back together.

Whatever I did today fixed my issue with the cruise control. It is now working. Since cleaning the Idle Control Valve the car idles soooooo much smoother. I highly recommend cleaning it if it has never been cleaned. Hopefully my oil leak is fixed.

Nice werk! Hope it solved the problem. Good looking engine bay.

Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Nice werk! Hope it solved the problem. Good looking engine bay.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I’m still leaking oil. What I did yesterday did not fix the leak. I just ordered a new valve cover...it’s gotta have a crack I’m missing or it’s warped.

I also ordered a new MAF since mine is going out, and new rubber grommets for the valve cover.

Must be a bit frustrating, but at least it's not the rear main seal
    2004 BMW 330CI ZHP (well, technically ZAM)

Quote Originally Posted by t.er View Post
    Must be a bit frustrating, but at least it's not the rear main seal
    Ya it’s definitely frustrating....

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast