Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    I wonder if the cracks are too deep that doing a +.5mm bore would fix them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

Are you sure they are cracks and not just lines where the pistons were sitting? Looks that way from the pics.

If there are cracks in the cylinder walls, scrap the block
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Are you sure they are cracks and not just lines where the pistons were sitting? Looks that way from the pics.

If there are cracks in the cylinder walls, scrap the block
    Roger....

2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint

Just dropped my block of at the machine shop. They ARE going to be able to fix the four bolt holes where the bell housing bolts to the block on my original block. They looked at my block and the top is completely level at factory specs. No warping! They also said my cylinders only have .001 thousandths of wear and aren't out of round! They just need ball honed. They needed me to get the bolts and the bell housing and bring them in so they can do the thread repair and drill out the other two bolts that are still in the block.

So the machine shop said $40 to clean the block and $35 to ball hone the cylinders, and then whatever the labor charges are for fixing the bolt holes. After the block is done I'll take the head in and have it cleaned and have the valves and valve seats ground.

Can't wait to have all the machine work done and start rebuilding l!

Glad you could salvage the old block... prices sound very reasonable
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Glad you could salvage the old block...
    Me too. They said the engine block definitely doesn't look like it has 175+k miles.

Yea that's impressive to have the bores in such great shape at that mileage
    H&R sport springs,

Finally after finishing several trips for work I was able to go pickup the engine block!

Now what they don't tell you is the bottom two bolts that hold the transmission to the block are not long enough to mount it to the engine stand....so a trip to the fastener store was in order. Picked up two M12x90 and 1.75 pitch bolts and she is now mounted firmly on the stand. Now to take the head in and have the valves and seats ground, and have one broken exhaust manifold stud removed. Then it will be time to put it all back together.....

Putting it back together is the fun part! I thoroughly enjoyed my last engine rebuild.
    Make sure you use plenty of assembly lube and prime the oil pump
    H&R sport springs,

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast